24c Rolls Royce Silver Shadow

one new model to be updated each week
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: 24c Rolls Royce Silver Shadow

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hugh said..."More information is required on how this ejector ring fits into Nick's variation but, at the moment, I would expect it to be Nick's variation code 8 (although it may prove to be an entirely new code, matching Nick's variation code 8 in all but the ejector ring)."

As Nick's code listing stands, I agree with a version with the back-wall ejector circle matching 'Code 8'. These versions do come from towards the end of production of this model in 1969. The term 'Flat Black' used on the listing will have to be defined more accurately because I have Gloss Black, Satin Black and Matt Black, Three distinct shades and I would expect antonin to have the same.

Nick in his opening notes for the #24c, mentions a model seen on the old MCCH site. I think it might be this one with all Black wheels at the back in this picture.
What is this!...jpg
What is this!...jpg (153.12 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
I have studied this and I am thinking there is a hint of the front valance extension (1st part of the towing facility), plus the wrong colour gives the impression it is not early enough for 'Pre-Pro' status. Somebody has this model somewhere and it would be great to see better pictures of it especially the baseplate. Maybe "Ritchie" has more info about it he can share with us.

Ghosthunter.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I mentioned earlier Antonin has done his best to photograph, in his words..."the structure behind". This is a block of metal added to keep the hinge-arms apart at the point of pivot. This is very hard to see from outside the boot (if you know what you are looking for it can be seen, just!), so I have got some 'Beaters' and removed the bases and interiors to take the picture below.

The 1st casting on the left is from very early production and represents a light Pink body. It has the high hinge-arm cut-outs but no hinge-arm brace (the block or Antonin's "structure behind").

The 2nd casting in the middle is a dark Pink body. It has the low hinge-arm cut-outs, but still NO hinge-arm brace and you can see the left arm is bent towards the right arm, so Lesney were right to add the brace to stop this happening.

The 3rd casting on the right is a Cherry Red body. It has the low hinge-arm cut-outs and the hinge-arm brace.

This hinge-arm brace was added to the body casting before the 1st part of the towing facility (Antonin's bumper extension) was added to the front valance.

Ghosthunter.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

This is my earliest version.

Light Pink body.
Gloss Black baseplate.
Small base rivet.
High hinge-arm cut-outs.
No hinge-arm brace.
No towing facility.
Weak suspension.
Push-in wheel hubs.
Large axle-ends on the nearside.
No inner rear wheel-arch brace.
Level glazing circles.
No patent number.

Who else has this one and does this constitute code 1 (or a new code 1).

Ghosthunter.
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I mentioned earlier Antonin has done his best to photograph, in his words..."the structure behind".
Thanks Ghosty. Your autopsy is very clear. You are an excellent pathologist :lol:
Antonin
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Diecast wrote:
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I mentioned earlier Antonin has done his best to photograph, in his words..."the structure behind".
Thanks Ghosty. Your autopsy is very clear. You are an excellent pathologist :lol:
Antonin
:lol: Thank you Antonin, I knew one Day I might be useful for something...

Ghosthunter.
numi

Post by numi »

I seriously wouldnt buy the real 1:1 Roller! Im just confused with all these variations :lol:
We all thank Ghosty for his invaluable contribution to this forum.
Long Live Ghosty... :D :D
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Thank you Numi, you will be pleased to know you have just moved up a few places on my Christmas card list... :D

Ghosthunter.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Earlier in this thread I posted a picture of my (then!) earliest version of the model in what I call light pink. This terminology was just to simplify the colour designation and to try and help define a difference between the very first issues and the later darker more red issues hence a pink in two shades amounting to light and dark pink then a chery red also available in light and dark shades.

I found these colour charts on the internet which are described as 'Shades Of...' so I show here a montage image with the shades of pink and the shades of red plus two distinct colour issues of the model.

The two models are not my own examples as attempts to reproduce the difference between pink and red were very hard to achieve in my own pictures but the one shown here (could be from ''johnboy''), have captured the difference really well.

Now, on my VAIO laptop screen and 61 year old eyes, the top (pink) model is close to the pink shade called 'French Rose' 3rd box along on the middle row.

The bottom model is close to at least two of the red shades called 'Scarlet' and 'Candy Apple', 1st box top row and 1st box on the bottom row.

In view of those colour shades shown, I will stil call my examples of the model as...
Light pink.
Dark pink.
Light cherry red.
Dark cherry red.

Simply because I am used to these descriptions, I have all my notes written with these descriptions and to me they still accurately describe the colours seen on the models.

I am happy to change all this if a more accurate colour designation is prefered by members of this forum.

Ghosthunter.