Grip Zechin

Not British, But were in the EEC now!
Shane

Re: Grip Zechin

Post by Shane »

No 6 Snowmobile Prinoth BIG with snow bike
This is actually the second one I have. I got one from ebay but the tracks were cracked and brittle. I grabbed it anyways as the price was right and this model does not come up often. It is definitely one of the more rarer models with respect to how often they show up on ebay. Wouldn't you now it, about a week later another one popped up with everything in excellent condition. I ended up with two and spending more then necessary but I am happy to have one in excellent condition even though I already paid for another the week before.
Attachments
20161116_233013 smaller.jpg
20161116_233013 smaller.jpg (116.3 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
20161116_232928 smaller.jpg
20161116_232928 smaller.jpg (122.47 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
Play with toys and be forever young!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I like that one.

The dilemma with buying duplicates is easy to relate to but sometimes neccesary to aquire just what you want (or need), for the collection and hoping the funding is there in the first place!

I bet I could go to any of my regular toy fairs and mention Grip Zechin and no one would know of them!

Ghosthunter.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Same result would be in Canada too, I would expect.

All but one of my Grips were bought via ebay and the majority from USA. The odd one from Canada or UK.
Squid

Post by Squid »

I like the snowmobile in the back...it's almost like getting a bonus model. Though I don't think I'd like the price, I'd welcome such a model in my collection!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Yes, maybe the price is a bit frightening!!

It looks very James Bond to me, probably that's why I like it :D

Ghosty.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Pictured much earlier previously in this thread, there is a car carrier. It also came with a little "extra" model of a car to go on the carrier. Just one piece of solid plastic (no moving wheels or anything) but quite cute.
The prices you see on ebay are usually ridiculous, especially since there are not a lot of people who collect these to drive up the prices. With patience, you will find that prices can be reasonable. Although what one person calls reasonable, may not be for another. The average price I tend to pay for these models is $17 CDN and that includes postage. I have picked up ones as low as $8 (incl postage) and have paid $40 (incl postage) for one. That pricey one was a "ghost" and an exciting find. More on that one later........
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

''That pricey one was a "ghost" and an exciting find. More on that one later........''

Ghosty the Ghosthunter is intrigued at what that is... :D

Ghosty.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Don't have the time to type up a story while at work at the moment, but will when I have a chance. You have probably already read about it elsewhere (post about the "Sunflower")
Shane

Post by Shane »

My quest for these Grips got really good with this next one, or sad however you look at it.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, not all the models are shown in the catalogues. For example, there is no #38 but there is one, because I have it (Shell Gas Tanker).
Also stated previously, there are a couple models shown in the calendar that I have yet to see on ebay or even a Google image. According to the manufacturer they are out there, but not to be seen. Ghosts.

I use ebay email notifications for when new listings come up (has anyone used this and have hey noticed they dont work lately?). New Grip Zechin notification email showed a No. 22 Ferry with just a few days for the auction to run its coarse and only two bids. I have never until that point even seen a picture of one except for the picture in the catalogue. A ghost revealed itself !!!!!!!

Despite its rarity, if there are no collectors out there then there just simply isn't a demand. Awesomely lucky for me because I was the winner at less than my max bid. So I guess I set the value as its the only one in my 10 years of collecting that I was aware of on ebay.

The listing only pictured the boxes with view of the model through the box cello. The seller had no knowledge of these (or diecast for that matter). He indicated he took a peak and they (he had different Grip Zechin models for sale as well) seemed unplayed with and mint and didn't want to open the packages. He probably would have if I asked but the clock was ticking on the auction time and they looked great in the photos.

I won I won I won!!!!!! I could not believe I found a ghost! It actually existed, and it was on its way to me

When it arrived. I almost cried when I realized a piece was missing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!

I would have bought it anyway because it was the only one I had ever seen but what a disappointment that it was incomplete.

Actually, the model itself turned out to be a disappointment. It really lacks the detail and moving parts of all the other models. I'd say this ghost is really not up to Grip Zechin standard, but I am still super stoked to have it. Besides, what more could they have done with a ship at such a small scale????

A couple funny things I noticed as well. The box indicates "High Speed Car Felly Sun Flower" which I am sure was meant to read "Ferry" not "Felly". The big bright sun decal on the ship obviously eludes to the name of the boat as per the box as Sun Flower. Yet on the base of the model it is printed "San" Flower. Pretty funny errors if you ask me.

So here it is, the Grip Zechin Number 22 Car Ferry or "Ghost" as I like to call it. Once I posted about this (another forum) it was only available images via Google :D

It is the exhaust stack on the top centre of the ship that is missing. You can see it in the picture on the box but not just behind the yellow platform where it should be on the actual model. There is a hole where I assume a post went from the bottom of the exhaust stack. The piece was not in the box :cry:
Attachments
Ferry 4.jpg
Ferry 4.jpg (454.02 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
ferry 3.jpg
ferry 3.jpg (459.36 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
20161019_231458 smaller.jpg
20161019_231458 smaller.jpg (131.62 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
Ferry 1.jpg
Ferry 1.jpg (486.39 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
Shane

Post by Shane »

Shane wrote:Pictured much earlier previously in this thread, there is a car carrier. It also came with a little "extra" model of a car to go on the carrier.
I forgot, the flat bed carrier also came with a one piece molded plastic bull dozer :)