Post by Diecast »

update of the 40b - list
Attachments
40b Leyland Royal Tiger Coach.jpg
40b Leyland Royal Tiger Coach.jpg (247.61 KiB) Viewed 3790 times
DrJeep

Re: 40b Leyland Royal Tiger Coach

Post by DrJeep »

There are some other casting differences that seem to have been missed so far. The two models I have here are Nick's and Antonin's code 1, with clear windows and silver wheels, and Nick's code 9 (Antonin's 13) with black wheels and the reinforced base.

First, the base. The D-shaped axle holders are much shorter on the code 1, on the right here. On the later model, they span the whole of the wheel aperture. It's the same front and rear.
IMG_7689.jpg
IMG_7689.jpg (370.08 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
Next, the roof. The roof on the early model is higher. It's obvious from the front:
IMG_7690.jpg
IMG_7690.jpg (332.56 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
and also the side - look at the thickness of the roof above the windows.
IMG_7692.jpg
IMG_7692.jpg (123.41 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
It's not just mine - you can see the higher roof in Jason's picture on the first page.

It's possible that the roof change coincides with the change in the thickness of the windscreen pillar, but I expect that the axle holder change happened before the change to the riveted base.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Good spot Glen. Will this affect Antonin's listing?

Ghosthunter.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Will this affect Antonin's listing?
I think it depends on whether the changes happened simultaneously with the changes he already lists. The roof may have been changed when the windscreen pillar was thickened (his pillars A and B) but working that out will need people to look at his codes 5, 6 and 7 (you can see the higher roof on Antonin's picture of the back of the coaches too). I expect we'll find that the axle holder change was earlier than the change to the riveted base because changes like this were usually incremental.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

DrJeep wrote:
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Will this affect Antonin's listing?
I think it depends on whether the changes happened simultaneously with the changes he already lists. T
Since this appears to be a retooling rather than a simple casting variation (c.f. the roof of the 14c Lomas), my money's on simultaneously.
bobneumann

Post by bobneumann »

Seeing the clear window variants, I have one that I was thinking of selling but I now will keep it for my collection. Looks like they are the first issue and may be hard to come by.
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

DSCN7152.JPG
DSCN7152.JPG (78.64 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
This high roof one comes on Stannards code two (2) with 9 x 20 BPW as well as the code 1 with

clear windows. My code two (2) also lacks Silver trim to the radiator.

George T.
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Hi Glenn,

Whilst there is no mention in the catalogues of the varying length of the axle covers they are shown in the Stannard catalogue. Apologies that we Stannard users have not bought this forward before.
I have checked all my models and do not have different axle covers that have not already been noted.

I think your question regarding roof height/pillar width could be partly solved by Jason who on the first page has stated he has Nicks code 5 in both castings. Not sure if he is referring to the roof or pillar or both.
Nicks code 5 equates to Antonin code 5/6 so it will be worth checking with Jason when he gets back and see if the pillars differ on both his code 5 models and also if there are other differences to roof height/pillars/body/base.

Quote Jason “At the moment on my listing,s , I have both types of castings on code 5 but only the wider version on codes 8 and 9. J”

Bert
EarlyWheels

Post by EarlyWheels »

My latest 40B’s. I admittedly came late to the conversation but George provides good discussion points and pictures. On another theme regarding the 40 B coach I am wondering if collectors have found that the 9 x 20 black plastic wheel type is harder than the 9 x 36 fine gray wheels.

Image resized by Ghosthunter.
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

DSCN7154-002.JPG
DSCN7154-002.JPG (97.14 KiB) Viewed 3520 times
DSCN7154.JPG
DSCN7154.JPG (47.22 KiB) Viewed 3520 times
Hello Earlywheels, I have both the 9 x 20 BPW and the 9 x 36 GPW models, I have had them both

for a long time that I cannot remember which was the hardest one to find but the 9 x 20 BPW one is a Code 2.

George T.