Whats up with Brad's Matchbox Collectors Forum?

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
ritchie

Re: Whats up with Brad's Matchbox Collectors Forum?

Post by ritchie »

Brad sent the below email on Oct 28 to the ambassador's mailing list informing about the new address for MCF (Matchbox Collectors Forum):

"""""
As I am sure you all know the MCF has been having terrible trouble with the web provider lately, well I have finally managed to get the forum moved to a new provider, now based in the UK as that is where I now live and hopefully it will be more stable than it has been in the recent months.

If you could let your collector friends and groups know it would be most appreciated. The new URL for the Matchbox Collectors Forum is

http://www.matchboxforum.co.uk or http://www.matchboxforum.com

Thanks to everyone for their patience whilst I got the problems resolved

Regards,
Brad
"""""

At first I didn't know what it's really about and just clicked the link. The browser opened up a new page and I was surprised to see a forum format that looked identical to VBD. After a few browsing I soon realized that it's the aussie cobratoys forum I'm a member of. I then login successfully using my old login ID and password. I thought great for the new web hosting because the old one was sometimes so slow that refrained me from reading.

This morning I saw this thread and I open the new forum and noted only a few members in total. I was worrying about lost of old forum data. Now as I'm writing I can't open the new forum as it got SQL error message.

I'm sure Brad will have it sorted out soon and I hope he have (i'm sure he must have) a backup of the the old forum data because like VBD or the old Lefora forum, it too contained many treasure information which is useful for reference or digging up into for knowledge feeding.

r
Ritchie
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

nickjones wrote:I did invite Brad to share this forum and he could run the modern matchbox section but I never thought of it until after I had pointed him towards Hostgator.
Possibly a missed opportunity, although it would have resulted in dilution of the "Vintage" element of this Forum.
mcnair55

Post by mcnair55 »

Brad is aware of the problems and at present nothing changed.No login for over three days now.
Support UKIP in May 2015...Out of Angie,s club for good
kay

Post by kay »

mcnair55 wrote:Brad is aware of the problems and at present nothing changed.No login for over three days now.
But the old site is back online again now!!

Kay
mcnair55

Post by mcnair55 »

kay wrote:
mcnair55 wrote:Brad is aware of the problems and at present nothing changed.No login for over three days now.
But the old site is back online again now!!

Kay
I managed to log in and that has now gone tits up,poor old Brad,best if he dumps it and goes social media route.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

mcnair55 wrote:I managed to log in and that has now gone tits up,poor old Brad,best if he dumps it and goes social media route.
No. In spite of the fact that it's not vintage, I agree with Nick: he should throw his lot in with us.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I quite like the fact that the MCF is a stand alone forum with it's own flavor and direction. I think Brad just needs time to sort out all the teething problems with a new host (and to get settled in after a major personal relocation). We've all survived a complete fresh start-up here and there is no reason that Brad can't do the same.

He cares about his site and his members wishes for the direction in which the site develops. Unlike the now dead mcch forum where the owner does little or nothing and fails at every project he announces, Brad gets it done!
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I'd also like to add that it would be good for those in contact with Brad to post updates here about his progress with his forum. Lord knows Curtis would never allow such posts on the mcch as the MCF is founded by and host to so many people Curtis has banned and/or blocked. Curtis can hardly be bothered to fix or participate in his own site but he has plenty of energy to waste attempting to hide the fact that the MCF exists and makes every attempt to belittle Brad and MCF members.

The MCF is a great place for those who collect newer and modern die cast. Those collectors need a home where the site owner cares about them and the hobby.
mcnair55

Post by mcnair55 »

Tinman wrote:I'd also like to add that it would be good for those in contact with Brad to post updates here about his progress with his forum. Lord knows Curtis would never allow such posts on the mcch as the MCF is founded by and host to so many people Curtis has banned and/or blocked. Curtis can hardly be bothered to fix or participate in his own site but he has plenty of energy to waste attempting to hide the fact that the MCF exists and makes every attempt to belittle Brad and MCF members.

The MCF is a great place for those who collect newer and modern die cast. Those collectors need a home where the site owner cares about them and the hobby.
Good idea Joe so i will update as i have found it as of this morning here in the UK at 10.03 am Saturday 8th of November.

Logging on to the UK site is still a no no but good news you can log on to the old Aussie site,snag is i think members have done a runner as no one seems to try an is empty.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I assume the server will vanish when the next monthly payment does not arrive. I'll wait and see what Brad can do with the new server. If he starts over again, so be it and I will support him and participate on his forum.

There is nothing in/on social media that compares to the content in discussion forums. I'm seriously NOT interested in FB or other shallow methods of hobby discussion.