57b Chevrolet Impala

one new model to be updated each week
zBret

Re: 57b

Post by zBret »

numi wrote: There could be more around and noticed if one looks carefully and if sellers would add good base pics.
Heres one that got away about 2mths ago in Fr. @ 465e as i felt thats what it was worth risking without having good comms & relevant pics from seller.
numi

I came across this listing (no longer active) http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Matchbox-No-57B- ... 1952532274 It appears to show the very model that Numi posted a pic of. If one looks closely, the chips on the A-pillar, on the left side, they look to be identical. Lots of clear close-up pics and some comments regarding this variation, are to be found in the listing.

zBret
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: 57b Chevrolet Impala

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I agree with you zBret and it seems to still have the same dirt inside the rear wheel and rusty axle-ends.

Ghosthunter.
paelzermaen

Post by paelzermaen »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I think the glazing is the correct moulding for the model in question, but because it is clear, the thicker lower section on each side around the front corners, is more noticable than the green mouldings.

Go back to the earlier picture with both models in the same shot and look closely at the right-hand side model with green glazing and it appears to me to be the same as the left-hand model with clear glazing.

The green tinting is masking the internal structure of this complicated piece of glazing.

GHOSTHUNTER.
I checked all MY Impalas, the windows are all the same, whether clear or green tinted. The effect is just more visible at the clear ones, as the strange "flat" shape is on the inside of the window. It fooled me once, too.

THOMAS
in Black Forest
zBret

Post by zBret »

numi wrote: There could be more around and noticed if one looks carefully and if sellers would add good base pics.
Heres one that got away about 2mths ago in Fr. @ 465e
numi
Apparently there are more around. I seem to have found one :D I spotted it in the "wild", in a group lot that I happened to come across.

It arrived just yesterday, here are a few photos.

I observe no signs of any sort of overpainting on the base, the rivets looks good to me, the color is an exact match to the maroon/crimson color used on the 27c , 39b -that I have in my collection and the wear on the base seems to be, in all the correct places.

The model is playworn, it features, spw, green windows, silver trim to the front grille and has red trim on the rear taillights. Unfortunately the towhook is bent and broken. However, I believe that in this condition, it would meet the "Martin's Maxim" requirement, for this variation.

Numi when you say "2mths ago in Fr." am I correct in assuming that means France ?
as I found mine here in France, perhaps a batch ended up here ?

zBret

zBret
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Fantastic model zBret, would love to find one of these.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Brilliant find! Well done! :mrgreen:
Miller

Post by Miller »

Why isn´t this red baseplate mentioned in the variation list?
Roland

Variations are bad for limited showcases
zBret

Post by zBret »

nearlymint wrote:Fantastic model zBret, would love to find one of these.
J
Idris wrote:Brilliant find! Well done! :mrgreen:
Thank you- Very pleased to have acquired this one :D
Miller wrote:Why isn´t this red baseplate mentioned in the variation list?
Roland- Possibly because this variation is so exceedingly rare, that it just hasn't been discussed or brought into the public light.
- according to the listing which I posted previously by the collector/dealer from Germany ; he states, " One of the rarest 1-75 series models, the Chevy Impala with the maroon base, a color only found on the 27C/31B/39B. Very few ( just 5 models worldwide! " - It would be very interesting to know the history, behind this claim.-

Thankfully we do have Hugh's (Idris') fine missing variations tables, here on our forum, in which variations such as this particular one, as well as other variations for different models can be brought to light and discussed. Our Kwakers has brought to light some interesting information and knowledge of this particular variation and never ceases to amaze with his depth of knowledge on these sorts of things.

My understanding is that once enough evidence has come out that our own "Martin's Maxim" rule viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5149&hilit=maxim can then be applied to a given model and if it meets that criteria, it then qualifies for inclusion to Nick's variation tables.

I must say that I had no idea that this maroon base variation of the 57b existed, nor any knowledge of it, at the time I stumbled upon the model I acquired. I was only aware that 57b bases existed in either black or different shades of blue. I did have knowledge of the maroon color bases found on the 27C/31B/39B. So, when I was browsing through the listings and came across the the 57b with the maroon base, it jumped out at me as something different. In this case it was a matter of knowing what "does exist and is known" rather than knowing what, doesn't exist and isn't know. A similar experience happened to me when found my first cross-color variation of the K-11 transporter, had no idea that variation existed.
( However when I found my 2nd cross-color K11, I knew the variation existed :D )

So I took a chance on the 57b after asking the seller for a better pic of the base which they sent, it looked good to me, so I made the purchase. It was only after, that I then sent the pic to a fellow member, who was kind enough to look at it and confirm that this indeed was a rare variation, that I began to search for further information on the variation, here on the forum. Perhaps I do things a lil backwards or perhaps I have a bit of luck, but that's what makes collecting fun and enjoyable for me.

I am very pleased to have this model and to share it's find with my fellow collectors and very thankful to our wonderful forum here and for the input of those who contribute to it and make it what it is.

zBret
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

What is particularly interesting about this find is that it is playworn, proving that this variation wasn't just an unofficial 'factory special' produced by an enterprising employee solely for sale to collectors.
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

I have compared blue colours and shades of the 57b Impala´s base plates.
Antonin
Attachments
DSCN2629a.JPG
DSCN2629a.JPG (33.15 KiB) Viewed 7068 times