fixer wrote:Oh come on even more :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
Malibu

Re: Casting #16

Post by Malibu »

Hi,

could this be the origin of Nr. 16 scammell snow plug (of course without the snow plug)?

http://truck-photos.net.s3.amazonaws.com/866.jpg

Stephan
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Short answer: The 16c is modeled directly from an actual Scammell Dump Truck.

Detailed answer: A snow plow of this type is add on equipment for any truck. Dump trucks work well because ballast can be added into the bed for better traction. Since Lesney updated the Euclid quarry truck to a much larger model, it was not suitable for a plow of this type. The Bedford tipper could have been modified for a plow, but they decided to go with the addition of a Scammell dump truck with the accessory snow plow.

The Atlantic tractor had been replaced the year before with the Tippax refuse truck and the trailer was alone and waiting to be replaced. I'm not sure of the wisdom of pulling the Atlantic tractor before having something ready for the trailer's slot. Thinking back, the Atlantic tractor came along well ahead of the matching trailer so I guess they never were in sync.

There was not another dump truck in the line that could be fitted with a plow until the Dodge dumper came out. The Scammell lasted until '69 and was a good fit in the line but I guess another tractor with a dozer blade seemed more attractive to designers. Personally, I think the truck was a better seller and had more to offer a child (as well as the adult collector). From a collector point of view, I find the Case tractor with dozer blade (and plastic safety cab) pretty boring and with poor details (unlike the Scammell casting which was rich in detail).
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Thanks Tinman for your answer.
I´m thinking about buying an old Modell with missing plough and replace it by an bumper.
Stephan
numi

Post by numi »

Rotinoff Gpw.
numi
Attachments
IMG_8362.JPG
IMG_8362.JPG (78.5 KiB) Viewed 9879 times
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Recently upgraded this 16c code 1 with the 11x45mm, this model I have found to be very hard to find. May just be that the difference is very hard to tell but I am very happy. J
16c
16c
P1010005.jpg (98.88 KiB) Viewed 9703 times
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Nice find Jason, I've got no 11x45's and I've had quite a few 16c's over the years.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

johnboy wrote:Nice find Jason, I've got no 11x45's and I've had quite a few 16c's over the years.
Thanks John, so many models I have bought trying to find these slightly smaller wheels. Luckily this one is good enough to call off my search and move onto another one. J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

This tractor has the lightest yellow plastic cab I've come across so far. Hard to get a good pic of it. Most cabs come close to matching the blade's orange/yellow. I'd call this cab a nice bright sun yellow.
Attachments
1a165 VBD.jpg
1a165 VBD.jpg (101.1 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
1a161 VBD.jpg
1a161 VBD.jpg (79.87 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
111aaa2 VBD.jpg
111aaa2 VBD.jpg (143.52 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."