Matchbox Toys by Nick Jones

zBret

Re: Matchbox Toys by Nick Jones

Post by zBret »

My copy arrived safe and sound yesterday and was happily read last night.. for the first time ;)

zBret
Viewfield

Post by Viewfield »

My copy arrived today, many thanks. Already read the first chapter. The rest on hold till the missus goes out!

Rod
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

Just got in post.
Will read over weekend.
many Thanks.
Gary.
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

My copy has arrived too; many thanks for the personalization!

Interestingly it appears to be an early printing with the mention of "Hotwheels dragsters" on the back page - I had understood that bit to have been changed for full production.

I will take it with me on my business trip next week where I hope to find the time to read it thoroughly.
kay

Post by kay »

ChFalkensteiner wrote: Interestingly it appears to be an early printing with the mention of "Hotwheels dragsters" on the back page - I had understood that bit to have been changed for full production.
Yeah, it should read "hot-wheels dragsters" instead......

Kay
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Hi,
can anyone explain what is ment by "it was found out that zinc, when in contact with the lime in plaster, would corrode..."
This sentence can be found on page No.8 of Nick´s book.
Thanks
Stephan
godsey1

Post by godsey1 »

My book arrived today. I haven't had time but go just flip through it. Looks like a great read. Thanks Nick, this part of my collection will stay with me.

Tony
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Malibu wrote:Hi,
can anyone explain what is ment by "it was found out that zinc, when in contact with the lime in plaster, would corrode..."
This sentence can be found on page No.8 of Nick´s book.
Thanks
Stephan
Lime is made by heating limestone, calcium carbonate, to drive off carbon dioxide, leaving behind calcium oxide. When this lime, the calcium oxide, is exposed to water, a process known as slaking, it hydrates and forms calcium hydroxide which is strongly alkaline. Unfortunately, zinc is an amphoteric metal, meaning that it will dissolve in both acids and alkalis. In this case, the zinc in contact with calcium hydroxide will oxidise to calcium zincate, a reaction paired with the evolution of hydrogen.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Idris wrote:Lime is made by heating limestone, calcium carbonate, to drive off carbon dioxide, leaving behind calcium oxide. When this lime, the calcium oxide, is exposed to water, a process known as slaking, it hydrates and forms calcium hydroxide which is strongly alkaline. Unfortunately, zinc is an amphoteric metal, meaning that it will dissolve in both acids and alkalis. In this case, the zinc in contact with calcium hydroxide will oxidise to calcium zincate, a reaction paired with the evolution of hydrogen.
Thanks for your explanation Idreis but I still have not understood what plaster is and how zinc, plaster and lime come together.
Stephan
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Malibu wrote:
Idris wrote:Lime is made by heating limestone, calcium carbonate, to drive off carbon dioxide, leaving behind calcium oxide. When this lime, the calcium oxide, is exposed to water, a process known as slaking, it hydrates and forms calcium hydroxide which is strongly alkaline. Unfortunately, zinc is an amphoteric metal, meaning that it will dissolve in both acids and alkalis. In this case, the zinc in contact with calcium hydroxide will oxidise to calcium zincate, a reaction paired with the evolution of hydrogen.
Thanks for your explanation Idreis but I still have not understood what plaster is and how zinc, plaster and lime come together.
Stephan
Plaster is the coating put on internal walls in order to give them a smooth finish. The lime (in slaked form) is part of the plaster. Presumably the issue was that some of the tooling was stored in contact with the walls. It may also have been that the plasterwork was not in good condition, resulting in plaster crumbling onto the tooling.