Diecastmolester's Dinky Molestation

Any brand, any year, show us your projects.
misterpop

Re: Diecastmolester's Dinky Molestation

Post by misterpop »

Tinman wrote:
Squid wrote:The wipers were electric (at least on my '67, and that's if I recall correctly). Only the windshield washer mechanism was powered by the spare tire.
That is correct.

On the other hand, I did have a vehicle which had wipers that were powered by vacuum. It was a totally miserable and unacceptable set up in a wet climate where thunderstorms can dump so much water that even the high setting on a modern car is barley adequate.  It was a 1955 Willys Jeep Wagon. The thing had an engine left over from the dark ages, a 4 cylinder flat head motor. It had just enough power to drive the thing down the road a nearly 50 mph flat out in top gear.  It would go zero to nearly fifty in about three minutes. If you had to accelerate or were starting from a stop and running up through the gears, you had no wipers.

On the plus side, with the right off road tires and in the uber low gear, 4 wheel drive setting, you could plow over small trees and make your own road in the woods.  I never got stuck in that old jeep and even rescued a few modern 4 wheel trucks that were stuck.

Vaceum wipers and a flat four must have been a distant relative of my old Ford 100e..An uphill struggle but a downhill racer..
Still going this one according to google.

angliafront.jpg
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
Diecastmolester

Post by Diecastmolester »

My very first airbrush compressor was home made from an old freezer unit with a reversing relay and a VW screenwash reservoir as an air tank.
Cowydd O'Lochdown-Bragsitt
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

We only need a 10 mile fish tank hose and I could tap into your air supply.. :lol: :lol:
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
Diecastmolester

You can paint your models here if you like.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Diecastmolester wrote:My very first airbrush compressor was home made from an old freezer unit with a reversing relay and a VW screenwash reservoir as an air tank.
Sounds familiar. Mine came from an old fridge and I used an old Freon canister as an air tank. Before I had the repurposed compressor I would just fill up the tank at the local gas station's air hose.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Diecastmolester wrote:You can paint your models here if you like.
Thats very kind of you thank you....
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Tinman wrote:
Diecastmolester wrote:My very first airbrush compressor was home made from an old freezer unit with a reversing relay and a VW screenwash reservoir as an air tank.
Sounds familiar. Mine came from an old fridge and I used an old Freon canister as an air tank. Before I had the repurposed compressor I would just fill up the tank at the local gas station's air hose.

I do hope you had a working gauge atached.. :o
Diecastmolester

Mine had no gauge, but a pressure relieve valve, also all the hoses were only pushed on, not clamped, so they would fly off if the pressure became too high.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

misterpop wrote:I do hope you had a working gauge atached.. :o
There used to be a little kit sold to convert those tanks for compressed air storage and it had a small plastic pressure gauge attached. It war probably accurate within 2 or 3 pounds but it was good enough for the job. I ran it through a dryer/filter with it's own pressure gauge and pressure adjustment control. I still use a similar set-up today although with a proper air brush compressor. Well, I should say "used to use" as my air brush compressor was about 15 years old when I bought it second hand in the 1970's and it finally died at the start of heavy use this summer. I'm now using a compressor that's completely overkill for the job and having some problems/issues with that.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Diecastmolester

It's worse to have a too powerful compressor than a too wee one.

This is the one I am using:

70 quid and so far it has provided sterling service.

I use those 1 Pound artsy fartsy acrylics thinned with screenwash (bought for 1 Pound for five litres) on top of etch primer followed by white car primer.
Then I shoot 3 layers of Aldi rattlecan 1K clearcoat on top of that and whooshbonk.

So here goes again:

1. Etch Primer
2. Car Primer
3. Acrylic paint airbrushed on
4. 3 layers of Aldi 1K clear from the rattling rattlecan, heated to ca 50C and shaken, not stirred

If two tone, a thin layer of clear must go on top of the first paint before masking.

Then the Silver is done with a sharpie, which costs - you guessed it - a Pound.
Other details, like taillights, indicators and such stuff are painted by hand with Humbrol Enamels. I have yet to find a substitute that looks as authentic.

Hey, I'm fully aware of how daft this sounds, but look at my models. And they merely cost me Pennies to restore if I just ignore the fact that Steve Flowers can live the high life from what I pay him.