Made in Bulgaria

Non UK made Matchbox toys 1983 on
leonty24

Re: Made in Bulgaria

Post by leonty24 »

Would i be right in saying that the VW TOYOTA and PONTIAC were issued in blister packs bearing the Dinky
brand name.
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

leonty24 wrote:Would i be right in saying that the VW TOYOTA and PONTIAC were issued in blister packs bearing the Dinky
brand name.
The models I mentioned above were made in Bulgaria. Two of those castings - the MB 007 VW Golf and MB 078 Toyota Supra - happen to have been among those used in the earlier Dinky series which was issued in 1987, but I think this is just a coincidence, and there is no direct connection. (The Pontiac is a different model, as the one made in Bulgaria is the MB 016 / MB 101 1979 Firebird, whereas the one which was part of the 1987 Dinky series is the MB 051 1982 Firebird.)

The 1987 Dinky series consisted of standard Matchbox Miniatures models made in Macau painted in exclusive liveries. Those models' moulds were not altered in any way for use in that series, i.e. they did not say Dinky anywhere. In that series the Dinky name was only printed on the blistercards.

The alteration of the moulds to feature the other brand names as mentioned above was done in 1988. They were sent to Bulgaria in 1991, at which occasion the baseplates were altered again to say Bulgaria instead of Macau or China.
leonty24

Post by leonty24 »

Many thanks for all the information which is greatly appreciated. Strangely there has appeared
on ebay a VW on blister made in Macau.
mbox75

Post by mbox75 »

Hi Everyone

more Bulgarian Rolls Colorvariants.

Cheers Mathias
SITE ADMIN WARNING: ANY PRE-PRODUCTION MODELS PICTURED IN THIS POST BY MBOX75 MAY BE FAKES!