Code 2s and MOY" First Series repainted in gold.

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
Tinman

Re: Code 2s and MOY" First Series repainted in gold.

Post by Tinman »

Collecting is always governed by ones personal preferences, likes and dislikes. There is no right or wrong method.  I've never been a fan of so called Code II models and I'll try to very briefly explain my thoughts on that subject.

In reality, there is no difference between a Code II and a Code III.  In some cases, the manufacturer will provide the "blanks" (for purchase) which are often models painted in a solid color without tampo printing.  However, anyone can buy "blanks" or any other model they please for their Code II or Code III model.  What makes a model a Code II is when the manufacturer provides a letter that basically says that you can do whatever you want to the model and shove it back in a Matchbox branded package (obviously certain restrictions apply, you can't do a model covered with a photo Jenna Jameson doing her thing).

The thought that Code II models are somehow extra special because of that little letter is really nothing more than marketing hype and nonsense.  What makes them special is a confluence of circumstance.  Are they being done for a well supported collectors club?  Is the reworking of the model done in a very professional manner (paint work quality)? Is the color selection desirable and appropriate? Does the artwork suit both the model itself and the reason for making a special model in the first place?  The quantity of the reworked models also factors in (i.e. how "limited" really is the model).

The simple fact that a model is a Code II virtually means nothing by itself.  CCI used to have essentially a blanket license to crank out Code II models.  Do you think some Dodge Viper with little Johnny's birth date and baby photo on the bonnet is going to be in the next Vectis auction? No, regardless of the fact that the model is a Code II, no one outside of Johnny's grandmother wants that thing (besides, her grandparents already received the first two that were given away).

The model itself wasn't even designed by Johnny's dad (or mum).  They simply told CCI what they wanted it to say and emailed a pic of little baby Johnny.  CCI did all the rest and emailed a photo shopped pic (of the proposed model) back to Johnny's dad for approval. All of five minutes was spent adding some text, selecting a font, maybe adding some background contrast color and superimposing baby Johnny face on the bonnet. So yes, Code II literally means nothing when you (meaning Mattel) got to the point that it was literally white washing nearly anything with that label. 

To start at the beginning, what it takes to make a great and in demand Code II is someone who can produce a wonderful Code III.  It has to be tied into a great organization and it has to look like something that could have easily rolled out of the factory.  You also have to start with an appropriate model. For example Mattel's Matchbox Hero City generic Radar truck would be an instant fail as a MICA club model. With the whole Code II model thing being out of control and virtually meaningless, the most simple decision would be to end the whole program, which Mattel did. They wanted to end the meaningless connection that some people associated with Code II models and the corporation making Code I products (Code I's being the company's branded creations and products).  There was no profit in Code II and having to provide the blanks was more hassle than it was worth. The entire Code II status was meaningless when Mattel inherited it along with the brand and it never did anything for their bottom line. It had simply long become a rubber stamp that could be applied to a Code III model.  I still have some model blanks that were made and sold to specifically be marketed as Code II models.  Only the fact that Mattel has repealed that status is preventing me from selling my Code III's (using those blanks) as official Code II's for the Central Florida Diecast Club. 

For the USA (from the point Mattel ended Code II's) all club models and convention models are Code III's. The exception being Jim G's big Matchbox and diecast events in Albuquerque, NM, those are Code I models produced by Matchbox. I don't know how Europe gets away with using some nearly worthless designation that Mattel ended several years ago.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
francipe

Post by francipe »

Tinman wrote:Collecting is always governed by ones personal preferences, likes and dislikes. There is no right or wrong method.  I've never been a fan of so called Code II models and I'll try to very briefly explain my thoughts on that subject.

In reality, there is no difference between a Code II and a Code III.  In some cases, the manufacturer will provide the "blanks" (for purchase) which are often models painted in a solid color without tampo printing.  However, anyone can buy "blanks" or any other model they please for their Code II or Code III model.  What makes a model a Code II is when the manufacturer provides a letter that basically says that you can do whatever you want to the model and shove it back in a Matchbox branded package (obviously certain restrictions apply, you can't do a model covered with a photo Jenna Jameson doing her thing).

The thought that Code II models are somehow extra special because of that little letter is really nothing more than marketing hype and nonsense.  What makes them special is a confluence of circumstance.  Are they being done for a well supported collectors club?  Is the reworking of the model done in a very professional manner (paint work quality)? Is the color selection desirable and appropriate? Does the artwork suit both the model itself and the reason for making a special model in the first place?  The quantity of the reworked models also factors in (i.e. how "limited" really is the model).

The simple fact that a model is a Code II virtually means nothing by itself.  CCI used to have essentially a blanket license to crank out Code II models.  Do you think some Dodge Viper with little Johnny's birth date and baby photo on the bonnet is going to be in the next Vectis auction? No, regardless of the fact that the model is a Code II, no one outside of Johnny's grandmother wants that thing (besides, her grandparents already received the first two that were given away).

The model itself wasn't even designed by Johnny's dad (or mum).  They simply told CCI what they wanted it to say and emailed a pic of little baby Johnny.  CCI did all the rest and emailed a photo shopped pic (of the proposed model) back to Johnny's dad for approval. All of five minutes was spent adding some text, selecting a font, maybe adding some background contrast color and superimposing baby Johnny face on the bonnet. So yes, Code II literally means nothing when you (meaning Mattel) got to the point that it was literally white washing nearly anything with that label. 

To start at the beginning, what it takes to make a great and in demand Code II is someone who can produce a wonderful Code III.  It has to be tied into a great organization and it has to look like something that could have easily rolled out of the factory.  You also have to start with an appropriate model. For example Mattel's Matchbox Hero City generic Radar truck would be an instant fail as a MICA club model. With the whole Code II model thing being out of control and virtually meaningless, the most simple decision would be to end the whole program, which Mattel did. They wanted to end the meaningless connection that some people associated with Code II models and the corporation making Code I products (Code I's being the company's branded creations and products).  There was no profit in Code II and having to provide the blanks was more hassle than it was worth. The entire Code II status was meaningless when Mattel inherited it along with the brand and it never did anything for their bottom line. It had simply long become a rubber stamp that could be applied to a Code III model.  I still have some model blanks that were made and sold to specifically be marketed as Code II models.  Only the fact that Mattel has repealed that status is preventing me from selling my Code III's (using those blanks) as official Code II's for the Central Florida Diecast Club. 

For the USA (from the point Mattel ended Code II's) all club models and convention models are Code III's. The exception being Jim G's big Matchbox and diecast events in Albuquerque, NM, those are Code I models produced by Matchbox. I don't know how Europe gets away with using some nearly worthless designation that Mattel ended several years ago.
A few points spring to mind.

What/who is CCI?

That's the brief version? I have my own views on certain distasteful aspects around the production and distribution of these models but I don't think I'd air them here.

More importantly, this post is Charlie trying to showcase models he loves and has taken much trouble to collect. I obviously share his interest in these models and imagine others do as well and it's fantastic to see so many rare models in one collection.
Whilst I'm happy for you to share your views on the Code 2 topic in general I don't think this is the appropriate place and in my view this post has now pretty much lost its purpose. Which is a shame, as I thought this would be a place to celebrate these models, not denigrate them. But maybe I'm the one who's got it wrong. Ho hum.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Moyboy wrote:The models were done tongue in cheek as an answer to all those ludicrous plated models shown in the later MICA mags in shades of anodised purple, green and red etc. Not sure who posted them either Kevin or Stewart but there was an argument between them that those models would never have been made by Lesney. I think Horace and co came up with the idea so show what was possible to repaint and became a bit of a joke.
Wow, the jokes on MICA and/or it's members then!? To buy 168 used examples of 14 different YYs (12 x 14), strip and paint them (with some dis-assembly and reassembly), make a 168 plaques to put them on, make 168 peel and stick (what looks like foil) stickers to place on the plaques, make 168 perspex boxes to cover the plaque and then print and fold 168 custom size boxes to place everything inside is a huge effort for a practical joke. The cost to make these must have been high, I wonder what percentage profit was made on these (if any)? 

I have to admit, I do like the finished product but like Bob already mentioned, I could churn these out myself: Buy the models as beaters.Strip & paint, reassemble.Make and stain all the plaques.Have a local guy make the foil stickers, peel and stick on plaque.Make the clear plexiglass (perspex) covers (I'll have to get my hydrogen tank/bottle refilled).Design the box art, print and fold the boxes.

How these things were rubber stamped as Code II mystifies me, this is classic Code III stuff!  If you don't collect Code III's then you better not collect these!  These models are literally the point where that meaningless rubber stamp saying Code II is used as a psychological selling tool to fool consumers.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

francipe wrote:A few points spring to mind.What/who is CCI? That's the brief version? I have my own views on certain distasteful aspects around the production and distribution of these models but I don't think I'd air them here.More importantly, this post is Charlie trying to showcase models he loves and has taken much trouble to collect. I obviously share his interest in these models and imagine others do as well and it's fantastic to see so many rare models in one collection.Whilst I'm happy for you to share your views on the Code 2 topic in general I don't think this is the appropriate place and in my view this post has now pretty much lost its purpose. Which is a shame, as I thought this would be a place to celebrate these models, not denigrate them. But maybe I'm the one who's got it wrong. Ho hum.
CCI is Color Comp Inc., USA's largest dealer in promotional items ... like tampo printed and/or thermofoil covered Matchbox models.  Nearly all club models and convention models in the USA are done by CCI (exception being Jim's Matchbox events which have some direct Matchbox support and produce the Code I models for the event).

It is the brief version because I could get into much more detail about the origin of Code II models and how the designation degenerated into something virtually meaningless and became nothing more than a third party marketing ploy to give consumers (and club members) a warm fuzzy feeling of a totally false connection to a brand they once loved.

I do not mean for my personal opinion to be an insult to anyone, not to you and especially not to Charlie!  I did preface my post with a comment about collecting preferences and that there is no right or wrong with regard to what you like or choose to collect.

My main interest is that (having not been a MICA member) the entire existence of this set is news to me and that I've never seen or heard of it before.  I wanted to know the who, what, when and how about the history of these models.  I thought they might be something special made by Mattel (like the 40th series of models that were done previously by previous owners of the brand).  There was no connection to MICA that I could see in the initial post so I wasn't even thinking that they were club code III's (badged as Code IIs).

In a subsequent post (that I made at about the same time as your follow up), I stated that I like the models! I admire the extreme lengths they went for presentation purposes: The plaque with the sticker, the perspex covers and the authentic looking boxes that everything came inside.  In my humble opinion, all of that special presentation is what makes these something worth collecting and gives them value.  The added fact that it's a club model issue for MICA members/fans is also a plus.

Now that I know what they are, I am enriched by that knowledge.  I can't be the only non-MICA member viewing this post that had the same thoughts about the who, what & where of these models. Even if I am the only one, I still want to know and since this is a discussion forum it seems the right place to ask about the models is the same thread.  I didn't want to start a second thread and then post the same photos so I could ask the question what are these?

However, after reading Bob's & Mick's comments, I gather not every member shared the same excitement over this issue.  The connection to Matchbox, other than that they made the models in the 50's & 60's, is in the form of a rubber stamp approval of a Code III project (thus it magically becomes a Code II). It's not like someone in the Matchbox division of Mattel had anything to do with this at all (and I doubt anyone at Matchboxes U.S. Corporate Headquarters ever saw the set).

Pretty much my comments on the elements of making a decent Code II is described in my post and this set checks off nearly every point I made about what makes a project like this a success.  I like this set and all the bling that comes with it, others may not (that's there opinion, just as my comments are mine).  But this set clearly and truly blurs the line between Code II and Code III.  Literally the only thing that makes this a Code II is that generic rubber stamp approval that MICA had for such things.

I want to say again, I am not judging you or Charlie on or about what you collect. I am not trying to degrade the value or quality of this set ... my post is not an attack of this set or any other MICA issued club model or set.  I am disappointed to learn that it's just a collection of Code III repainted used models presented in a most excellent way. I was hoping the set was new issue YY copies made just for collectors as a anniversary gesture by Mattel.

Now everyone can laugh at me for thinking that and wonder how stupid I must be for not knowing about these. I'm a regular wheels guy who rarely ventures past anything made after 1969. Apologies for anyone reading my comments and taking them as an attack on specific people, collecting habits or anything else.  I know what it feels like to be attacked as many collectors are quite vocal with their dislike, disdain (and even hatred for my Code III models and some of my restorations).

No collector should have to face that kind of hatred and intolerance. To this day, you can go online and read an entire personal attack on me penned by a famous author of Matchbox Catalogs and guides. Over the years I've had more hate email than you can imagine. I've even had people buy my Code III creations, destroy them, put the pieces in a box and send them back to me all at my expense (by claiming to ebay "model not as described"). I spend hours working on some models and that kind of abuse is hard not to take personally. I've a thick skin and I can take the heat (shouldn't have to though).

But, I certainly don't want my comments to ever make someone else feel slighted about or concerning with regard to what they like to collect and if my post/comments come off that way it is not my intention and I sincerely apologize to anyone who feels slighted.
francipe

Post by francipe »

francipe wrote: Whilst I'm happy for you to share your views on the Code 2 topic in general I don't think this is the appropriate place and in my view this post has now pretty much lost its purpose. Which is a shame, as I thought this would be a place to celebrate these models, not denigrate them. But maybe I'm the one who's got it wrong. Ho hum.
Tinman,
As shown above I've selected the key part of what I wrote in the small hours of this morning. I had hoped that as a moderator you would remove the comments that in the main have nothing to do with Charlie showcasing his models. Instead you chose to add another 100+ lines which have no place here.

Charlie may not thank me for sharing his thoughts from an email he sent me a couple of days ago and I apologise in advance if he feels I shouldn't share a private 'conversation' in the public arena. Essentially he thinks that there's no point in him continuing to post in this thread as very few people show any genuine interest in these models. Hardly surprising that he has been reduced to thinking in this way. When so few members actually contribute to the Forum, two active members are now thinking that this has stopped being fun so why bother?

Just to be clear, I'm asking for all comments after Charlie's initial post to be moved to a new thread. It could be called 'Code 2 Model Trashing' or some equally snappy title so like-minded people can congregate there. That would leave me and Charlie to play nicely here with our silly little toys.
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

It's a great shame this thread has deteriorated the way it has. I can well understand Charlie's disenchantment. Everyone is entitled to express their opinion, but this has gone beyond that. Unnecessary.
Bob