Some advice regarding Dinky toys

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
crohamblues

Re: Some advice regarding Dinky toys

Post by crohamblues »

Hi thanks.. That's what I suspected.. but its so hard to tell. appreciate your time.!
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I agree. It certainly looks like these could well be genuine 28 Series vans, but let's give it a couple of days and see what the experts say.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

I bet he was holding his breath when he was squezzing. :o
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
kay

Post by kay »

Looks like you have some of the earliest Dinky Toys vans......
Two-piece lead castings, with solid wheels (without rubber tires) are dated between 1933 and 1935 - and they are all extremely rare.
You really found a treasure trove!!

Kay
lionel-honda

Post by lionel-honda »

Coming in late on this, but I agree that they look original, and very nice. Surprising (and lucky) that they do not show significant signs of metal fatigue.

Beautiful and very sought after toys...congrats! Most Dinky collectors would be very proud to have these.

Thanks for sharing the photos with us. Please share some photos of the other toys...looks like you may have some other prewar Dinkies in the box.

Scott
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

lionel-honda wrote:Surprising (and lucky) that they do not show significant signs of metal fatigue.
Aren't the 28 Series vans lead, and hence do not suffer from fatigue?
crohamblues

Post by crohamblues »

Thanks all for your advice. Yes there are plenty more in the box of a similar vintage some are american, ill post some more photos asap. Thanks!
lionel-honda

Post by lionel-honda »

Idris wrote:
Aren't the 28 Series vans lead, and hence do not suffer from fatigue?

Yes, you are correct, apologies!

Scott
Fred7A

Post by Fred7A »

Wow! That is a beautiful set of Dinky vans. These are very early Dinky Toys production. They came out in 1934 and were replaced by a completely different casting in 1935, but still numbered as the 28 series.

The ”Type 1” vans which you have were produced in two sets of six, and your ones mostly come from set one, apart from Meccano, which according to Meccano Magazine adverts, was in set two (set one had Hornby Trains). However, there were 13 liveries altogether, as the August 1934 Meccano Magazine shows Firestone Tyres instead of Ensign Cameras. The original price in April 1934 was 9d each, but this had been reduced to just 6d each by June. Today, the attractiveness and rarity of these vans makes them some of the most sought-after Dinky Toys.

The later “Type 2” and “Type 3” 28-series vans were Mazak instead of lead, and they are the ones which are well-known for suffering from metal fatigue. A wide range of liveries was produced before the war, and they even added a new 280 series because they ran out of letters! Pre-war Dinky Toys were generally numbered with the series number, followed by a letter to denote the model in that series, so that, for example, your Pickfords van was 28b. They were available in sets, or sold individually unboxed. Strangely, the Meccano van was numbered 22d despite coming in the 28 series. The van casting did indeed originally form part of the Dinky toys 22 series, but the 22 van is plain without advertising.

I see you have some other nice pre-war items in the background – I certainly look forward to seeing more photos. How long have you had these toys?
crohamblues

Post by crohamblues »

Thanks. I believe they may been with the same person since new.. he was certainly old enough. Ill upload some more photos when I get a chance...