Black Square Decals unavailable to the EU

Any brand, any year, show us your projects.
matchboxtom

Re: Black Square Decals unavailable to the EU

Post by matchboxtom »

Never heard of them before today. They have LOTS of stuff. Never seen so many of the SF and King decals before.
Diecastmolester

Post by Diecastmolester »

They are alright. Not quite as easy to use as MS's, but they are crisp enough and the pigment density is fine.
Cowydd O'Lochdown-Bragsitt
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Diecastmolester wrote:They are alright. Not quite as easy to use as MS's, but they are crisp enough and the pigment density is fine.
I have a bit of an issue with his decals over darker colors. The Matchbox 10c is a good example. If he first printed the sugar truck logos in white and then printed them a second time in the colors, they would look less washed out and much brighter. With regard to double printing the decals to get richer colors (print white first then print again in colors), this may not be possible if he's using an actual printer (with most printers, even expensive ones) it's difficult to get alignment good enough to make a really accurate second pass.

He also uses a pretty thin film that can be troublesome on long skinny decals and on some larger ones. I have had a few break into multiple pieces too. I'm not sure if that's due to the thin film or some other issue. All I know is that it's not an issue with the paper I use to make my own decals.

Also, you can't spray his decals with clear lacquer to give them extra "body" as that ruins them. It also prevents you from giving a model a clear coat (gloss or matt finish) after the decals are applied. The only thing that you can coat them with is Future floor polish. The floor polish is slow drying compared to other coatings and you have to be careful not to get it on too thick or leave brush strokes. If you get it on the back side of the decal paper, it's really hard to get the decal to let loose without breaking or tearing. You also have to be very careful when using decal setting film, apply too much and his decals will begin to wrinkle and shrink.

His BP logos are a little freaky with the exaggerated shield peeks. Die cut decals are not his thing either, you have to trim and/or cut them out yourself. That said, he has a wide selection and many are more accurate and a few are less accurate than his competition.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."