All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Brad Pittiful

Re: More on the 16C Scammell Snow Plow

Post by Brad Pittiful »

yellowfoden wrote:
Brad Pittiful wrote:i have three open/closed step models
2 have nice and crisp open steps and the closed steps are solid
but one is a bit off
if you look at the top closed step there is a slight indent where the metal wasnt smooth
the open step has a thicker step where paint was applied thick in some way
the closed side with the model on its wheels..you can see the top of the ladder isnt smooth
the open step side...you can see the thick paint on the steps side...also the tank had lots of paint and it bubbled

does anyone think the sprayed a thicker layer of paint to hide the casting flaw?
Hi Dan,

Hope you are going well and keeping out of harms way in your area.

Nice photos.
Brad Pittiful wrote: if you look at the top closed step there is a slight indent where the metal wasnt smooth
Which tends to make me think at that point of production the tool makers may not have made the deliberate correction to the die. This could be almost at the same time as Greg’s and Kay’s. On my left open and right closed the infill is smooth and is at the point where the toolmakers did make a deliberate correction to the die.
Do you think the infil on that one is as thick as the other two? ( see the angle of my photos gives an idea )

re paint issue
I think there may have been a problem with the grey paint rather than coating thicker to cover flaws. I have several 3b Bedford that have the same bubbly grey paint to the cab and chassis. I have seen it many times on that model.
The only other model that comes to mind is the blue on the 40 hay trailer which also experienced bubbly paint issues.

Thanks also for indicating you have three of the 16c open/closed variation, I have altered my tally. With the exception of two ( unknown origin ) all of the others have come from the USA which is quite interesting, as though as they came of assembly and boxed they were destined for Fred Bronner distribution.

Bert
doing well as i hope you are Bert...thanks for asking...i suspect youre right about fred b getting them...same happened to the 65 combine with open steps
Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

yellowfoden wrote:
paelzermaen wrote: Open steps / with base hole
Some flashing on upper step
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for adding those images, wonderful quality photos and models.
The open steps both sides with the base hole (unlisted) may actually be less in number than the single closed step variation.
It is also a good example of the grey paint issue on the underside but perfect on the outside.
Thanks also for origin of your left open/right closed model.

Bert
you are on it again Bert...i have never found the open steps/open base model...i have the closed steps/no hole base
Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

well as luck would have it...i found an open steps and open hole in base model just now...BIN and its mine...it is missing the plough but as we say...condition only matters if you have one