Vintage bus lines

Corgi & Husky toys by Mettoy
Bill Manzke

Re: Vintage bus lines

Post by Bill Manzke »

LUFF wrote:Hi Bill

Glad you still have fond memories of that time .
Yes they do take up a lot of room but I decided in 1996 to collect the complete series ,little did I know it would be 125 models by 2010 when Hornby cancelled them
Mid year ( Hornby purchased Corgi Classic's in 2008 ) but still used the mould for premium models .
Bill you say that you had all the Scenicruiser's was that 12 or 13? as there is one that I have never seen except in a catalogue.
I don't remember at this point. It's been a while since I sold them in a big lot that I sold to a diecast reseller in Kentucky. It's very likely that some of the members here have at least one model out of my former collection.
At the beach, counting down to retirement.
Diecastmolester

Post by Diecastmolester »

Unfortunately there isn't much info on the web in regards to Trailway's history. Yes, there is the history about the company itself, but nothing really about its route network.
The way I understand it, you could travel on (actually even inside) air conditioned buses up and down the USA and parts of Canada as early as the late 30s.
Technically that's no lesser achievement than the scheduled Transsaharien bus services offered by the Algerian company SATT at the time.

Cowydd O'Lochdown-Bragsitt
LUFF

Post by LUFF »

If you are looking for Greyhound information yes but Trailways as you say very little but you can find route maps on the US feepay that show they had routes all over.

The model Scenicruser that i have never seen (real not photo's) is #54418 destination "St LOUIS" sight and sound, having spoken to Mr Charles wotring AND "Walthers" they think it was cancilled should have been issued in2006.
Attachments
img123.jpg
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

LUFF wrote:If you are looking for Greyhound information yes but Trailways as you say very little but you can find route maps on the US feepay that show they had routes all over.

The model Scenicruser that i have never seen (real not photo's) is #54418 destination "St LOUIS" sight and sound, having spoken to Mr Charles wotring AND "Walthers" they think it was cancilled should have been issued in2006.
There was a lot of turmoil around Corgi's ownership in that general time period. As far as I know the Sight and Sound Scenicriuser never reached the market. (Somebody please prove me wrong!)
LUFF

Post by LUFF »

It has been frustrating trying to find out about it , according to Hornby when I emailed them it was produced but I emailed back that I hoped that they had not used the catalogue to confirm it.

Thankyou for reinforcing what I believe, that either because of production or as you say turmoil at the company it was deleted .
There is only one other that may have had the same fate being the MCI "SeaWorld " moneybox in 1995.
After 14 years never seeing one for sale or images on the net you have to believe they never appeared.
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

LUFF wrote: There is only one other that may have had the same fate being the MCI "SeaWorld " moneybox in 1995.
After 14 years never seeing one for sale or images on the net you have to believe they never appeared.
If it was produced, it may have only been sold at Seaworld's gift shop.Things like that have been known to happen.
LUFF

Post by LUFF »

Could be that it was only sold at the SeaWorld parks, but the other three money boxes come up for sale now and then one has only 700 made which is a low amount ?
LUFF

Post by LUFF »

Two other castings make up the range of US buses see pictures below they are the MCI-102 DL3 , and the Flxible Clipper,
NOT all the models are in Corgi Catalogues as some are commissioned models that could be purchased from their shop .
Attachments
P1010866.JPG
P1010884.JPG
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

Have you cross-referenced what you know with my UEoCT book (published back in 1997?) I'd like to know what I missed up to that point. If I ever update the encyclopedia, I'll need to add in the newer models.
LUFF

Post by LUFF »

Sorry i have not read your book , all the information is from my own research as books concentrate on the Swansea years up till 1983 , the only book that I did buy is
Corgi Classics price guide by Simon Epton that lists models produced from 1984 to 2008
That book just lists models by Corgi number, type of model , livery's and price but it is very incomplete ( I think it is information from " Toy Price Guide Magazine" )

The vintage bus line seems to be more popular in the US, though people collect the model they like in the livery they may have rode on .
Attachments
img124.jpg