Not bad for £2

A place to show your latest finds
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Not bad for £2

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

It is very easy for collectors to describe their models using contractions based on the listings in reference books, forgetting that there will be members here not so famaliar with the same models. Maybe we should put up a chart or list detailing all the contractions that are used such as the GPW, SPW etc, etc.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:It is very easy for collectors to describe their models using contractions based on the listings in reference books, forgetting that there will be members here not so famaliar with the same models. Maybe we should put up a chart or list detailing all the contractions that are used such as the GPW, SPW etc, etc.
I have proposed that several times in the past and, on each occasion, the membership decided that it was unnecessary. However, i still believe it would be a useful addition to the Forum. For me the only question would be, where to leave it (as a 'sticky' obviously) so that it is readily accessible. How about The reference Library? Beginners' Corner is alo a possibility.
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Idris wrote:
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:It is very easy for collectors to describe their models using contractions based on the listings in reference books, forgetting that there will be members here not so famaliar with the same models. Maybe we should put up a chart or list detailing all the contractions that are used such as the GPW, SPW etc, etc.
I have proposed that several times in the past and, on each occasion, the membership decided that it was unnecessary. However, i still believe it would be a useful addition to the Forum. For me the only question would be, where to leave it (as a 'sticky' obviously) so that it is readily accessible. How about The reference Library? Beginners' Corner is alo a possibility.

I would like to see a glossary of terms and definitions and the reference library is a good place. I often refer collectors here that Joe compiled as a handy reference.
Everyone can contribute and at some point the contributions could be compiled into alphabetical order.

I use more than 10 variation catalogues and there are many terms describing the same item or part often depending which country the catalogue originates from.
For example:
coupler
Bogy
Bogie
Dolly

All can mean an assembly of four or six wheels forming a pivoting support.

Old school collectors are familiar with most terms or coding methods but educating new collectors to another series or themes is good for the hobby.

The section in the reference library could have multiple areas such as regular wheel, Superfast, Yesteryear and extend to other brands where terms are unique to them.

I fully understand all of these terms can be found in Stannard, NAMC, AIM, Mack, Bowdidge, Christian F, N.Jones, Leake and so on.
However not everyone has access to these books and to have a VBD online code reference and quick glossary reference would be a good move.

I am more than happy to make a start on this, give me a few days for the first few pages. ( If you agree that is :?: )

Bert
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Idris wrote:For me the only question would be, where to leave it (as a 'sticky' obviously) so that it is readily accessible. How about The reference Library? Beginners' Corner is alo a possibility.
No real reason why we can not have it in both sections and yes as a sticky, so its always at the top.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:No real reason why we can not have it in both sections...
Well, speaking as an engineer, you try and avoid having the same information in two places because, sooner or later, someone will forget to update one of them and then no one knows what the correct value is any more! (It's also double the work.)
Ads a compromise, I suggest a one-post topic in the Beginners' Corner area containing a link to the actual topic.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

yellowfoden wrote:I am more than happy to make a start on this, give me a few days for the first few pages. ( If you agree that is :?: )
Sounds good to me, Bert. Post something in the Reference Library when you're ready, and I'll then ensure that any contributions 'below the line' are added into the original post, so there's only one document to look at.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Can we also ensure it only refers to Matchbox models for now, If we need to do the same for the Corgi, Dinky and Lone Stars etc then I am sure collectors of those will let us know.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Such a list could be beneficial to new Corgi collectors. For instance, I can see a new collector wondering about turned vs. spun vs. cast hubs. And, as the old cliché goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words."
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

OK, I can assist with the Corgi, Dinky and Lone Star descriptions.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Let's start with something, and then we can add to it.
I suggest we wait for Bert to pen his Lesney section and use that as the seed corn. If other Members would like to work on other manufacturers in the meantime, that would be great (but please coordinate between yourselves so that there is no duplication of effort). Once the Lesney post is live, we can review how best to expand its scope.