More YY restorations

Any brand, any year, show us your projects.
Idris
Site Admin

Re: More YY restorations

Post by Idris »

matchboxmarcel wrote:Do I understand it right you made a "new" model of the 1st rare color for this model ?
I must say I don't like that. Someday. (maybe not now) such models come onto the market.
That won't be an issue since Joe makes no effort to hide the fact that his models are restorations. (This one probably has a screwed base.)
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:OK, the following images will be found on 1st casting Y-5(B) Bentley models.

1, The baseplate will stop short of the front axle.
1st casting short baseplate.JPG
2, The top edge of the rear panel under the tonneau cover does NOT have a cut-out.
1st casting rear panel.JPG
3, There is a small fill-in between the rear springs as shown in the middle picture of the three below.
The three versions.jpg
Ignore the top picture of the three as this is for the preproduction castings.

Ghosthunter.
OK, here we go:
1). The base plate on my model does NOT reach the front axle.
2). All the paint on the model is too fresh to risk prying up the interior so this detail remains unknown at this time.
3). Mine matches your photo #2, small infill.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Idris wrote:
matchboxmarcel wrote:Do I understand it right you made a "new" model of the 1st rare color for this model ?
I must say I don't like that. Someday. (maybe not now) such models come onto the market.
That won't be an issue since Joe makes no effort to hide the fact that his models are restorations. (This one probably has a screwed base.)
I have yet to even attach the base as the brake lever is in the way of the right side door decal. When the Union jacks arrive I will fix the base after decal placement. Maybe screws, maybe two blobs of epoxy. Small axle ends are ground off and left that way as well.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

matchboxmarcel wrote:Alex first (thick ) book is sold out long time ago. The later thin book probably still is available via Rockertron by example.
I will look into that, thanks.
matchboxmarcel wrote: Do I understand it right you made a "new" model of the 1st rare color for this model ?

marcel
Unknown as to what color this model started out. It arrived in parts/pieces, already dismantled and stripped of all paint. The only thing I know is that it has the radiator molded as part of the main body (hence my calling it an early or first casting, whichever I wrote). Just now sorted out the other casting details, with info provided by Kevin, and it's 2 out of 3 odds it a very early casting. Regardless, no way I was going to paint this one that boring BRG like a thousand others offered on ebay. Besides, I already have a BRG issue in a window box.
Attachments
Y5 Bently window boxed.jpg
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

It is a superb model and a great example of the engineering skill at Lesney in 1962 when this model was first introduced into the range.

Just to remind everybody what real car this model is based on...https://www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.u ... =23&t=3890

Ghosthunter.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

There is the first version of this casting with the seats and folded down top cast as part of the body, then the ones with the plastic interior ... so where does this one fit in the time line and is it an all new casting? Same size as the others? Plastic parts like headlights and rad (maybe wheels)?
Attachments
YY 5 different.jpg
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

That is a totally different model with no connection to the first two.

Ghosty.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:That is a totally different model with no connection to the first two.

Ghosty.
Is it Lesney or a later casting?
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

Y2-4-2 Mid brown dash, dark green mudguards.JPG
Much later model from the 1980's. Lots of plastic and even nylon (mudguards) in it. I'll leave the chapter and verse to Kevin.
Bob
Viewfield

Post by Viewfield »

It’s also quite a lot larger.

Rod
Attachments
29275641-BB23-4623-8AF9-B3B00FB600B6.jpeg
Last edited by Viewfield on Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.