Idris
Site Admin

Re: 6b with silver trim

Post by Idris »

kerbside wrote:
1-6b Silver Trim.JPG
My 6b model with a Silver Grille.

George T.
Nick Jones variation code please, George. (Looks like it should be a variation code 1.)
matchbox_n_molars

Post by matchbox_n_molars »

Tinman wrote:
matchbox_n_molars wrote:Mine is a Code 1 on Nick's lineup. The silver trim paint is definitely brushed on and confined to the front face of the grill & radiator, the top of the radiator tank, and the two headlamps:
IMG-0811.jpg
Is that one of the models you bought from me?
Yes Tinman, good memory! That is indeed one of your former "half a gross".
Greg in Cincinnati
matchbox_n_molars

Idris wrote:here's my example: Nick Jones variation code 1, hand-applied trim to the radiator grille only.
(Greg - according the the second Lefora thread, you have a very similar model in playworn condition. Any chance you could repost the photographs here, together with the variation code? I can only access a defaced version via the Lefora thread - see below.))
Sorry Idris, that second model moved on to a new home years ago. Unlike the Tinman, my memory stinks. I have no idea who I passed that along to.
Greg in Cincinnati
tractorboy

Post by tractorboy »

A closer photo showing paint applied to front facing surfaces. Nothing in the ridge above radiator or top of bumper.
Code 5
P5160001.jpg
P5160001.jpg (38.81 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
Initially thought it was mask sprayed as looked neat & tidy but under digital microscope can see it much more likely to be hand painted.
S20200926_001.jpg
"What one loves in childhood stays in the heart forever." ---Mary Jo Putney

Rodger
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

matchbox_n_molars wrote:
Idris wrote:here's my example: Nick Jones variation code 1, hand-applied trim to the radiator grille only.
(Greg - according the the second Lefora thread, you have a very similar model in playworn condition. Any chance you could repost the photographs here, together with the variation code? I can only access a defaced version via the Lefora thread - see below.))
Sorry Idris, that second model moved on to a new home years ago. Unlike the Tinman, my memory stinks. I have no idea who I passed that along to.
Do you still have the original photographs? Can you recall which variation code it was?

UPDATE: It has been pointed out to me that George's and Greg's models are one and the same. (Look at the paint damage on the bumper.)
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

tractorboy wrote:A closer photo showing paint applied to front facing surfaces. Nothing in the ridge above radiator or top of bumper.
Code 5
Initially thought it was mask sprayed as looked neat & tidy but under digital microscope can see it much more likely to be hand painted.
Hi Rodger,

Thanks for posting the digital microscope photo, well worth the effort to see the detail.

Bert
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

My 6b silver trim study record.

I do not have a 6b with silver trim (not for the lack of trying) but can contribute in another way.

On Nicks page he says in the model description he has seen is the 6b with the headlights only silver trimmed but he had not seen any with grille trimmed versions.

He does not show the headlight trimmed version in the code table though.

My own record of this model shows as many as 10 models with trim to the grille / bumper lights and radiator surround seen over the years as I attempted to secure one.

I have not seen one with just the headlights trimmed but I thought I had a win in a Vectis auction of one with just headlights trimmed. Only to discover when it arrived to find both headlights had been deliberately scratched to remove the paint to make them look like trimmed lights. Pity the vendor or Vectis had not declared this.

Here a few play worn examples and if you look here I think Dan may have another.

Of the six images three have been offered for sale on ebay and one other private sale.
There is also one shown with fuel tank trimmed interestingly with riveted axle ends. I have shown a second example I have seen elsewhere but there is a slim chance it may be the same model. See image 4 and 5. Do not be mislead by colours as photos taken with different cameras.

The group shot of three I still need to find out about and I understand belong to one collector. Image 6. The angle of the photo makes it difficult to determine the codes. I will try and find out.

Hope this helps in that it shows a good mix of worn models to balance out the near mint models.

Bert
Attachments
1-6b grille bumper trim ebay sale.JPG
2- 6b grille trim lights are paint worn.JPG
3-6b trim lights grille bumper ebay sale.JPG
4-6b radiator trim tank trim.JPG
5-6b note trim to fuel tank and radiator surround ebay sale.JPG
6-6b three different levels of trim.JPG
matchbox_n_molars

Idris wrote:
UPDATE: It has been pointed out to me that George's and Greg's models are one and the same. (Look at the paint damage on the bumper.)
Well, now we know where that 2nd model of mine went. It appears George has taken good care of it.
Greg in Cincinnati
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Lets get down to the nitty gritty. Who here thinks that a silver trimmed 6b is a true factory produced variation?

If your answer is Yes, please indicate exactly the extent of the silver trim and the variation upon which it would appear.

Example: Silver trim to radiator grille insert only on a Code 1.

If we are going to list this as a possible variation, it has to be narrowed down. If it can't be narrowed down to one (maybe two) logical variations, then it should be ruled out as being improbable. As much as anyone, I wanted this to be a real variation (I used to think it was). Reality of the situation seems to be proving otherwise.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Tinman wrote:Lets get down to the nitty gritty. Who here thinks that a silver trimmed 6b is a true factory produced variation?
I'm sorry Joe, but I strongly disagree with this approach.
Instead of asking what people think, we should be taking our time, and sifting the evidence, looking for clues.I believe we have made a good start and should let the submission of model photographs and variation codes run it's course. Any perceived pattern that comes out of that exercise will be far more valuable and credible than a simple straw poll of Members' wishful thinking.