Spot the three gems!

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Tinman

Re: Spot the three gems!

Post by Tinman »

DrJeep wrote:That’s probably because they’re Austin A50 Cambridges... In real life the Prefect looks smaller and more modern than the Cambridge, but the models do look similar.
That indeed would answer that. Time to get into my Mercedes and head to the pub, wait I'm confused again, it's a Hyundai. :?
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
AJR

Post by AJR »

Thin windscreen bottom edge on the Zodiac ?
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

The third one is obviously proving difficult.
I will reveal all after work tomorrow.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Well, if no one else is going to have a go, I’m going to guess silver-gold trim on the Morris J2. Is this the most common mixed trim model, or does the Wolseley 1500 beat it? I have two Wolseleys but no J2 yet.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

DrJeep wrote:Well, if no one else is going to have a go, I’m going to guess silver-gold trim on the Morris J2. Is this the most common mixed trim model,
3/3" Go to the top of the class, Glenn!
Here's the photograph, and I'll post some discussion later this evening. (Busy cooking at the moment!)
3G.jpg
36a.jpg
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

The A50 looks like gold, not mixed silver and gold as I thought. That’s a great find.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

So, yes, not one but three interesting models in this lot.
Obviously, what caught my eye in the listing was the Minx. it is a NJ code 6, and has either gold or mixed gold/silver trim. (Looked at from either side, all of the trim appears gold but, head on, there's one small patch by the offside headlight that looks silver. One of the 36a Austins (NJ code 19) does indeed have gold trim. (The other, a NJ code 18, possibly has mixed gold/silver trim, but it's a difficult call to make, the gold hue being limited to a small patch on the bumper.) The 60a (NJ code 1 or 3 – decals missing) has very pale gold trim, which really only shows when viewed sideways on. However, when placed next to a silver-trimmed example, the trim can be seen to be 'off colour'.

Based on my observations, there seem to beat least four different types of gold trim:
1) the early type, as found on many early models. This is a fine-grained, rich gold colour.
2) a later type, very fine grained, and with significantly less gold colour than the early type. This needs to be viewed sideways on for the gold colour to show properly. The 60a is an example of this where only a hint of gold is present. The 36a is similar, but with a much stronger colouring.
3) a later type, also a rich gold colour, but coarse grained. The 43a is an example of this (probably).
4) a blotchy type, being very clearly both gold and silver which have not mixed properly (or possibly, at all!). Characterised by coarse graining of the gold areas. (The 43a could conceivably fall into this category instead.)
Taking those ideas one step further, I would like to suggest the following:
1) is true gold paint
2) is a true, homogeneous mix of gold and silver paint, the ratio of the two components determining the strength of colour.
3) is a mix of gold and silver paints, but which has resulted in the formation of agglomerates.
4) is a blend of gold and silver paints which have not mixed properly.
What do other Members think?