The Restorations forum "Toybox Lounge"

Any brand, any year, show us your projects.
Tinman

Re: The Restorations forum "Toybox Lounge"

Post by Tinman »

Finally, a day without rain and the humidity actually came down enough to paint a few things.

In other news, I think I'm building "the ship of Theseus" rather than restoring a model. It all started with a K6a Chalmers scraper. I found the main part of the model with the bucket, wheel mounts and push bar on the back. I scrounged through my parts boxes and found a tractor for the K6A. All I need was the part with the springs on it that allows the box to open and close. One by one, I found all the body pieces except wheels and axles. I found some springs I had set aside for one of these and was able to hunt up some axles and red hubs. Started stripping and painting some of the parts and getting others straightened and repaired for painting.

While searching for tires, I found four tires on the metal hubs for this model, so I abandoned the red hubs in favor of the metal hubs. While organizing some other Kingsize models, I discovered another main body/ bucket part that had the railing in almost perfect condition along the top back of the bucket. It was then that I abandoned the original bucket that started the whole project. So many changes/switches and rounded up parts that I started pondering the ship of Theseus paradox. Obviously, I've too much time on my hands.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
DGinBC

Post by DGinBC »

After discussing this with Heraclitus and Plato, we have decided that if any single part of the original exists you are in restoration mode.
Dwayne on the left coast.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

DGinBC wrote:After discussing this with Heraclitus and Plato, we have decided that if any single part of the original exists you are in restoration mode.
The unknown factor is if any parts of what is now whole were once combined as the original. Does the reasoning become circular if what is now whole is considered to be an original in its own state of existence (or is that just feeding into the paradox)? Because of the unknown factor, it either is or it isn't which begins to remind me Schrödinger's cat. Because, like the cat, it can't be both dead or alive (either is or it isn't).
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

My supply chain (if you will) is truly global. I have received loose parts of models, partial models and whole models literally from all around the world.  Who knows where these individual parts and models came from.  We all know where they were first made and assembled, it's their travels and eventual demise. Demise being in the form of breakage, disassembly, hard play wear and finally abandonment as the item lost it's luster or it's owner lost their interest.

Like the toy participants in the movie Toy Story, each model has it's own tales of travel and of lives lived.  Like those abandoned and unwanted toys, I seem to have heard their voices calling and have a desire to make them whole again. How I wish I could keep each and every one I have restored and/or customized in some sort of great display in a grand toy room. Not a private place in the back of my home but some truly grand place where those of all ages could see and interact with them once again. Some could come see their abandoned and once well loved model car or truck once again in all its glory and beauty. Others could muse and wonder if this or that one might have been theirs once upon a time. Still others could recall having one just like this or that one and how much they enjoyed them.

I just restored (mostly restored) a 20b for a Gift Set I am making.  When I got around to the base of the model, I learned something. I learned it was Paul's toy model truck. I don't know if Paul's mother scratched his name on the bottom or if it was Paul. Also on the base, right next to the model's number, is scratched #19.  Now I have a question to which I will never learn the answer.  Was Paul or his mother confused about the model's number in the Lesney line up? Maybe not as I don't see how you could put it there right next to the 20 ... or maybe they didn't notice the "No. 20" on that slight angle.  Could it have been the 19th consecutive Matchbox in Paul's collection?  Maybe Paul lived in apartment number 19. I'll never know who Paul was or why the 19 was scratched there with his name. I know one thing for sure, I could not bring myself to restore or repaint the base and had to leave Paul's name and number intact.  It is such a vital part of the story of this model's lives lived.
Attachments
20b second.jpg
20b first (2).jpg
Moyboy

Post by Moyboy »

I would go with it being Paul's nineteenth model Joe.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I needed to use several different model paints for my Omnibus rebuild. After thinning and mixing a couple bottles, I thought to myself there has to be a faster way. I put an old dull blade in my Sawzall and taped the bottle onto the blade. Wow, that mixed everything really well and very fast. The link below is the my "mixer" in action. One note of caution, don't do this inside the house, just in case ... Murphy's Law and all that stuff.

https://youtu.be/v2RF-eJc4Nw
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Great idea.I can see a Humbrol tin up the kitchen wall any time this week..Nice videos ,is that Tinwoman on the train.Shes a keeper if so... :oops:
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

A recent photo of Ian's kitchen wall.
Ian's newlyy repainted kitchen.jpg
To answer your question that is the Mrs ("Lady Marilyn") in the train video.  Not known by most here, she was the lead ballerina for Canada's most famous ballet company. She's danced for prime ministers, presidents, Kings and the Queen. After that she literally ran away and joined the circus.  Now she's in the legal department for J.P. Morgan - Chase. She travels the U.S. & Canada to represent them in court.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Tinman wrote:I could not bring myself to restore or repaint the base and had to leave Paul's name and number intact.  It is such a vital part of the story of this model's lives lived.
A few years back, I read a letter to the editor of Collecting Toys (if memory serves me correctly) magazine. The writer said that he bought some playworn models in a thrift store. One of them had a dab of nail polish on its base. It had been put there by his mother to identify the car as his.

My opinion about such identifying marks changed after reading that post. It used to be that they were a deal-breaker. Now I see them as a valid and interesting part of a model's history. I would also have left the markings left by or for Paul. What would he think if he learned that model has survived to this day?
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Tinman wrote:A recent photo of Ian's kitchen wall.
Ian's newlyy repainted kitchen.jpg
To answer your question that is the Mrs ("Lady Marilyn") in the train video.  Not known by most here, she was the lead ballerina for Canada's most famous ballet company. She's danced for prime ministers, presidents, Kings and the Queen. After that she literally ran away and joined the circus.  Now she's in the legal department for J.P. Morgan - Chase. She travels the U.S. & Canada to represent them in court.
Is that you then young man?....Any mail?....Just asking..
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25