#45 Ford Group 6 prepro?

one new model to be updated each week
DrJeep

Re: #45 Ford Group 6 prepro?

Post by DrJeep »

That's a really interesting find! For what it's worth, my non-metallic green Group 6 does have mould numbers on the wheels, though they're hard to see. Are the ends of the exhausts solid or tubular?
motorman

Post by motorman »

DrJeep wrote:That's a really interesting find! For what it's worth, my non-metallic green Group 6 does have mould numbers on the wheels, though they're hard to see. Are the ends of the exhausts solid or tubular?
Glenn they are tubular. And I’ve had another look under a brighter light and I can see the raised edge of a letter and number on the inside edge of the wheel mould, sadly I cannot read it, it is so small.
Attachments
4D782C10-5929-47E0-A4D4-E8A5E463F7ED.jpeg
4D782C10-5929-47E0-A4D4-E8A5E463F7ED.jpeg (58.65 KiB) Viewed 5286 times
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
motorman

Post by motorman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Not many others have turned up on the back of the posting by Alex so perhaps not many more are currently circulating the collecting community.

Alex, when you showed this elsewhere, ''SMS88'' (Mick Bruce) commented on the wheel mould numbers so would you mind enlightening me on the numbers here (also mention if the number is on a little platform - more dating evidence!) thanks.

Ghosthunter.
Kevin, I’ve had another look under a brighter light and I can make out the raised edge of a letter and a number on the inside edge of each hollow wheel, sadly I cannot make out what they are. Any suggestions how I can get a closer image?
MOTORMAN

DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

motorman wrote:they are tubular... I can see the raised edge of a letter and number on the inside edge of the wheel mould
Great picture! My solid green Group 6 has tubular exhausts, but on my dark metallic green one (with rectangular number 7) the exhausts are solid. It would be interesting to hear what others have, but the tubular exhausts, unpainted base and numbered wheels make me think it's a prepro or early colour trial that's contemporary with the solid green Group 6s. There's a white prepro with amber windows on Christian's site. Really interesting find.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I am glad you have now spotted something on the wheels as this does make sense. The wider wheels were fited to #45 during 1970 as adverts from this year show models with thin and then (more predominately), thick wheels.

Forum member Olivier (''Matchboom'') purchased a USB powered miniature microscope for his wheel mould numbers and it was very effective. Sadly he no longer posts on the forum but I am sure they are out there in ebayland. I don't think there is any other way to see the numbers clearer unless I had it in hand as I view all my miniature details by the naked eye, no glass enlargements for me yet... :D

Ghosty.
motorman

Post by motorman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I am glad you have now spotted something on the wheels as this does make sense. The wider wheels were fited to #45 during 1970 as adverts from this year show models with thin and then (more predominately), thick wheels.

Forum member Olivier (''Matchboom'') purchased a USB powered miniature microscope for his wheel mould numbers and it was very effective. Sadly he no longer posts on the forum but I am sure they are out there in ebayland. I don't think there is any other way to see the numbers clearer unless I had it in hand as I view all my miniature details by the naked eye, no glass enlargements for me yet... :D

Ghosty.
I don’t know how you could possibly see these Kevin, they are tiny. I will look into getting a USB microscope.
MOTORMAN

motorman

Post by motorman »

DrJeep wrote:
motorman wrote:they are tubular... I can see the raised edge of a letter and number on the inside edge of the wheel mould
Great picture! My solid green Group 6 has tubular exhausts, but on my dark metallic green one (with rectangular number 7) the exhausts are solid. It would be interesting to hear what others have, but the tubular exhausts, unpainted base and numbered wheels make me think it's a prepro or early colour trial that's contemporary with the solid green Group 6s. There's a white prepro with amber windows on Christian's site. Really interesting find.
All very good points and I must admit I had not given much thought to how the exhausts were cast but could be significant in placing this in its correct timeline. Now I guess I will need to obtain the mould numbers to confirm this.
MOTORMAN

Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Just checked both my non-metallic green models, and both have hollow exhaust pipes.
To me, this example is looking increasingly like a late (because of the wide wheels), pre-release (because of the exhaust pipes) colour trial.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

The wheel numbers on my solid green Group 6 are:

Front left A5
Back left A21
Front right A40
Back right A37

I won't post pictures of all of them. This was taken with a macro lens on a digital SLR, on a tripod.
IMG_7925.jpg
IMG_7925.jpg (281.13 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Which when enhanced looks like this.

Ghosthunter.