Thoughts on this #8

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Diecast

Re: Thoughts on this #8

Post by Diecast »

Laurie could you be so kind and take a detailed picture of the seat and the control lever. If there are no small traces of the separation plane, the driver was very probably cut away. If there is a visible trace of the separation line, the model is genuine without driver from the Lesney.
Antonin
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Diecast wrote:Laurie could you be so kind and take a detailed picture of the seat and the control lever. If there are no small traces of the separation plane, the driver was very probably cut away. If there is a visible trace of the separation line, the model is genuine without driver from the Lesney.
Antonin
Clever!
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Very nice waratah,

The removal of the driver is a very neat job. In doing so it appears that the operating lever has been reduced from the wider dual operational lever to single round, quite a delicate alteration if this is post Lesney.
I love the heavy duty treads/tracks on this, would be nice to know the origin of these.
Thanks for showing this one.

I have seen one of these before and have spent the last evening searching to see if I had the photos. The owner is now deceased so I am not sure where the model ended up.
I compared yours with a couple of mine and have attached a composite pic to show the operation lever differences. The small indent down the bottom of yours is occasionally seen on 8b and 8c models as a metal flow casting flaw issue.

I also note differences in the casting underneath and have attached a comparison shot. I have highlighted the difference in the casting. On several of my yellow castings the casting is the same as the model on the left. Two of mine also have the silver trim underneath.

Also here is an image of a post Lesney modification of one I spotted of the 18b on line a few years ago with the an owner removing almost all of the driver just leaving his boots intact. I have seen a few like this and could be as a result of the driver loosing his head so the owner has removed the body as well.

Bert
Attachments
8a waratah model on right.JPG
8a waratah model on right.JPG (38.5 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
8a compare underside waratah on right v2.JPG
8a compare underside waratah on right v2.JPG (69.1 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
missing driver 18b.JPG
missing driver 18b.JPG (33.5 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
waratah

Post by waratah »

Ok, first pic is rear of seat area and shows the separation line I believe, especially just above the tow hook
Attachments
cater8.jpg
cater8.jpg (165.67 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
waratah

Post by waratah »

Next pic shows front of seat area and seems smooth. It would appear someone wanted a driverless Cat, Laurie
Attachments
cater6.jpg
cater6.jpg (238.63 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
waratah

Post by waratah »

Lastly from above, a bit blurry though. Thanks for all for weighing in on this,Laurie
Attachments
cater9.jpg
cater9.jpg (559.56 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The control lever is far too low to be a Lesney original or has been cut down for some reason.
And it is not in the center of the model whre it should be - in betwen the mould halves.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Having now seen the last three pictures they confirm my thoughts on the whole driver being cut away and the out of position control lever nails it!

Ghosthunter.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

I did the same some time ago on a 18c but without the control lever.
Attachments
(c) Malibu
(c) Malibu
Caterpillar.JPG (87.88 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
SuperFast

Post by SuperFast »

BTW a very nice job on the #8 and the #18 too.
S.
Infected by Superfast