Corgi Cubs

Corgi & Husky toys by Mettoy
Bill Manzke

Re: Corgi Cubs

Post by Bill Manzke »

Working on an update to the Cubs listing from my book with the additional models known to me. I'll post it when done. Anyone have anything unusual to add?

Source of photo not known.
Attachments
Corgi Cubs Mothercare Postman Yellow.jpg
Corgi Cubs Mothercare Postman Yellow.jpg (130.96 KiB) Viewed 6702 times
At the beach, counting down to retirement.
MOKOSEX

Post by MOKOSEX »

Bill Manzke wrote:Working on an update to the Cubs listing from my book with the additional models known to me. I'll post it when done. Anyone have anything unusual to add?

Source of photo not known.
i raided my archives :D
dave
Attachments
DSC00239.jpg
DSC00239.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
DSC00238.jpg
DSC00238.jpg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
DSC00235-1.jpg
DSC00235-1.jpg (51.36 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
DSC00234-1.jpg
DSC00234-1.jpg (50 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

Nice! Two of the four are new to me!

What is the bear on the bicycle supposed to be? I think I am missing a cultural reference.

Keep them coming!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Going by the label on the model lower down, I think the Bear is a Mail Delivery Bear.

Ghosthunter.
MOKOSEX

Post by MOKOSEX »

[quote="GHOSTHUNTER"]Going by the label on the model lower down, I think the Bear is a Mail Delivery Bear.

Ghosthunter.[/quote]
i would agree especially has both vans are red,maybe there was a postal set? for youngsters...
dave
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

Here is an update to the Corgi Cubs listing in The Unauthorized Encyclopedia of Corgi Toys. This is not comprehensive, but rather an update with the variations that I have come across since the book was published way back in 1997.

Bill

CORGI CUBS

Metal and plastic toy (not scale model) vehicles introduced 1976-1977. Each can be found with a number of different types of Whizzwheels patterns, depending on which version was then available from the main Corgi product line.

500 Police Car 120mm
1. White diecast body, black outlined red stripe label with white upper case “POLICE” lettering, blue painted roof light area, blue interior and base.
2. White diecast body, black outlined red stripe label with blue lower case “police” lettering in white area, red painted roof light area, red interior and base.
3. White diecast body, blue stripe label with black upper case “POLICE” lettering, white painted roof light area, red interior and base.

501 Jeep 95mm
1. Metallic green diecast body, yellow interior and base.

502 Express Van 98mm
1. Orange diecast body, orange-white-blue Express labels, white interior and base, “CORGI CUBS” text on base.
2. Red diecast body, blue-yellow-white labels with teddy bear postman being chased by a dog, yellow interior and base. (May be exclusive to Mothercare stores.)
3. Red diecast body, blue-yellow-white labels with teddy bear postman riding a bicycle, blue interior and base. (May be exclusive to Mothercare stores.)
4. Green diecast body, green-yellow-white “GROCER” labels with teddy bear character, white interior and base. (May be exclusive to Mothercare stores.)
5. Red diecast body, red-yellow-white “BUTCHER” labels with teddy bear character, white interior and base. (May be exclusive to Mothercare stores.)
6. Yellow diecast body, black-yellow-white “POSTMAN” labels with teddy bear character, white interior and base. (May be exclusive to Mothercare stores.)
7. Yellow diecast body, black-yellow-white “BAKER” labels with teddy bear character, white interior and base. (May be exclusive to Mothercare stores.)
8. Red diecast body, red-yellow-white “FIREMAN” labels with teddy bear character, white interior and base. (May be exclusive to Mothercare stores.)
9. Yellow diecast body, green-white yellow-black labels with four ducks, red interior and base. (May be exclusive to Mothercare stores.)
10. Blue diecast body, green-white-blue labels with cow and three trees with red apples, white interior and base. (May be exclusive to Mothercare stores.)

503 MG TD 105mm
1. Non-metallic light green diecast body, white interior and base.
2. Metallic blue diecast body, white interior and base.
3. Metallic blue diecast body, chrome interior and base.
4. Non-metallic green diecast body, chrome interior and base, white wheels (as used on some Muppets character cars.)

504 Pickup Truck 98mm
Same diecast body as 510 Fire Truck with different interior/base.
1. Yellow diecast body, red interior and base.
2. Green diecast body, white interior and base, "farm" side labels with cow and chicken, no text on base.

505 Fire Chief 108mm
1. Red diecast station wagon body, yellow background labels with red upper case “FIRE CHIEF” text split by 8-piointed shield with black stripes on ends, white interior and base.
2. Red diecast station wagon body, yellow background labels with red lower case “fire chief” text split by white shield with fire helmet and crossed axes but without black stripes on ends, white interior and base.
3. Red diecast station wagon body, yellow background labels with red lower case “fire chief” text split by white shield with fire helmet and crossed axes with long black stripes on ends, white interior and base.

506 Helicopter 110mm
1. Yellow diecast body, red interior, base and rotors.

507 Shell Tanker 112mm
1. Yellow diecast body, black tank top, red plastic interior and base, “Shell tanker” labels.
2. Yellow diecast body, black tank top, black plastic interior and base, “Shell tanker” labels.
3. Silver diecast body, red interior and base, “Shell” labels.

508 Racer 116mm
1.Yellow diecast body, chrome interior, base and parts, Racer and checker labels.
2. Orange diecast body, chrome interior, base and parts, Racer and checker labels.
3. Red diecast body, chrome interior, base and parts, Racer and checker labels.
4. Purple diecast body, white interior, base and parts, no labels, no text on base.
5. Purple diecast body, white interior, base and parts, checker labels, “CORGI CUBS” text on base.
6. Red diecast body, blue interior, base and parts, no labels, no text on base.

509 Dump Truck 106mm
1. Blue diecast body, dark yellow interior and base.

510 Fire Truck 100mm
Same diecast body as 504 Pickup Truck with different interior/base.
1. Red diecast body, white interior, rear bed with equipment and base, yellow and red side stripe labels with “Fire” and “Dept” on either side of shield.
2. Red diecast body, chrome interior, rear bed with equipment and base, black outlined yellow side stripe labels with large black-yellow-red shield on sides, white “FIRE” text at top of shield.
3. Red diecast body, chrome interior, rear bed with equipment and base, yellow-black-red flame stripe labels with oversized white shield with helmet and crossed axes, red “fire” text inside top of shield.

511 Ambulance 98mm
White diecast body, Ambulance labels, red interior and base unless noted; same casting and base as 502 and 512.
1. Red side stripe with white upper case “AMBULANCE” in stripe, small red cross over stripe on sides, no extensions on label ends.
2. Red side stripe with white lower case “ambulance” in stripe, small red cross over stripe on sides, white extensions on label ends with two thin red stripes.
3. Same as 2. but with white interior and base.
4. Large red cross on yellow background label with white lower case “ambulance” in cross.

512 Milk Truck 98mm
1. Blue diecast body, “milk” labels with three bottles, white interior and base; same casting and plastic as 502 and 511.

5?? Telephone Truck 98mm
Yellow diecast body, yellow interior and base; same casting and plastic as 502 and 511.
1. Yellow background side labels with black “telephone” lettering and red telephone outline with white center dial.
2. White background side labels with black “telephone” lettering and red telephone outline with white center dial.

600 Corgi Cubs Set
1. Contains 500, 505, 510 and 511.
Last edited by Bill Manzke on Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CORGICROSSEYED

Post by CORGICROSSEYED »

Wow, I've never seen such a comprehensive list of Corgi Cubs.

Don't forget to add these two helicopters.
IMG_20190214_234147.jpg
IMG_20190214_234147.jpg (149.3 KiB) Viewed 6603 times
IMG_20190214_234217.jpg
IMG_20190214_234217.jpg (148.29 KiB) Viewed 6603 times
Also, not sure if you should mention that the purple racer has a rear checker label.

And the 6 model 601 set is missing.

Do you have a similar list for the Qualitoys range?
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

Great photos and input. I'll add them into the listing. I haven't seen the 601 set. Have a photo?

506 Helicopter 110mm $15-30
1. Yellow diecast body, red interior, base and rotors.
2. White diecast body, red interior, base and rotors, blue lower case “police” on white labels with blue outlined red stripe.
3. White diecast body, light blue interior, base and rotors, blue upper case “POLICE” on white labels with blue outlined red stripe.

Racer listing fixed.

I haven't updated the Qualitoys listings yet, but here is what I have at the moment.

CORGI QUALITOYS

Simple, rugged large scale castings intended for very young age group. All models based on same pick-up truck like casting except for trailer, loader and dozer. Pick-up base text reads "TURBINE TRUCK SERIES" and "Qualitoys". Introduced in 1969 as a separate product line. Early production pick-up base had no openings. Later models have large openings in the base to accomodate parts for the end tipper and tower truck. Early packaging just said "QUALITOYS." Later the Corgi name and logo was added above it to increase sales potential. Some Qualitoys data obtained from The Great Book of Corgi by Marcel R. VanCleemput.

Q701 Pick-up Truck
1. White cab casting, blue lower casting, yellow plastic interior, white bed extension.
2. Red cab casting, blue lower casting, yellow plastic interior, white bed extension.

Q702 Side Tipper
1. White cab casting, red lower casting, yellow plastic interior, blue side tipping body in rear.
2. Shown in catalog as white cab casting, orange lower casting, yellow plastic interior, white side tipping body in rear.

Q703 Breakdown Truck
White cab casting, yellow lower casting, red plastic interior, red winch in rear.

Q704 Tower Wagon
1. Red cab casting, blue lower casting, yellow plastic interior and tower, clear windows.
2. White cab casting, pnk (light red) lower casting, yellow plastic interior and tower, clear windows.

Q705 Horse Box
1. White cab casting, yellow lower casting, red plastic interior, green horse box in rear with white roof and green fold-down gate, brown pony included in package.
2. White cab casting, aqua lower casting, yellow plastic interior, red horse box in rear with white roof and red fold-down gate, ??? pony included in package.

Q706 Giraffe Transporter
1. White cab casting, light aqua lower casting, yellow plastic interior, red open top box in rear with red gate, two giraffes same as Chipperfields and Wamaru Bedfords.
2. Shown in catalog as white cab casting, green lower casting, red plastic interior, yellow open top box in rear with yellow gate, two giraffes.

Q707 Fire Engine
Red cab and lower casting, yellow plastic interior and ladders, red and yellow fire equipment insert in bed.

Q708 Pick-up Trailer
Blue lower casting, white bed extension, round labels on sides with "T" logo. (matches Q701.)

Q??? Fire Trailer
Red casting, yellow interior casting, black hose with cast nozzle. (matches Q707.)

Q711 Rear Tipper
Red cab casting, light green lower casting, yellow plastic interior, yellow rear tipping body in rear.

Q712 Tanker Truck
White cab casting, yellow lower casting, red plastic interior, green tank with red cap on top, "WATER" labels.

Q714 Jumbo Loader
Orange body casting, yellow cab, blue engine / interior, silver scoop on yellow arms, large black tires with silver wheels.

Q715 Jumbo Dozer
Yellow body casting with no cab, blue engine / interior, orange dozer blade, silver caterpillar with black tracks.

Q??? F1 Racer NOT PRODUCED
Pre-production model shown in advertisements with red body, yellow chassis, white plastic wings and vacuum plated cockpit / engine. Casting later used for Dick Dasterdly's racer in Corgi Toys line.

Q750 Fire Engine and Fire Trailer Set
Red casting, yellow interior casting, yellow ladders, black hose with cast nozzle. (Q707 and Q??? Trailer)
CORGICROSSEYED

Post by CORGICROSSEYED »

I don't have the 601 Cubs set but a web search will find it.
601 cubs.jpg
601 cubs.jpg (40.24 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
Thanks for the Qualitoys list.
Quite a few variations I've never heard of.

You could safely add the 709 Horse box trailer.
709.JPG
709.JPG (58.05 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
Printed on the 705 Horsebox packaging but I'm assuming it was never produced.

I'm guessing that the fire trailer would have been given number 710??? as that follows the other two trailers.
Also guessing that 713??? was reserved for the racer.

I'm hoping that someone with more restoration skill than me can make up that racer.
Not sure which model F1 Driver and cockpit to use.
713 Qualitoys.jpg
713 Qualitoys.jpg (29.1 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
713.jpg
713.jpg (38.12 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
edit: You could probably add that 714 Loader variation to the list also.

Trying to think of another range to list.
Have you done the 1970's Hong Kong issue aircraft? And the Vapour Trails?
Or perhaps the 373 & 383 VW's?
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

Have you seen my book? "The Unauthorized Encyclopedia of Corgi Toys" (Schiffer Publishing 1997) Some of what you are asking about may be in there.