My Benbros

Morestone, Benbros, Charbens, DCMT, Kemlows & Moko.
Idris
Site Admin

Re: My Benbros

Post by Idris »

MOKOSEX wrote:I think early lesney and benbros were diecasters,they may have designed the product but a toolmaker would have made the dies,some toolmakers were obviously better than others,i will concede later lesney may have made their own dies,but early on i think it would have been contracted out.
Interesting idea.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

What about the Dinky Guy and the Bembros AEC ? Discuss.....
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

misterpop wrote:What about the Dinky Guy and the Bembros AEC ? Discuss.....
Maybe we need a new thread for castings from different makers that exhibit surprising similarities? The Morestone and Dinky railway horseboxes are a great example - two differently scaled models of the same unusual vehicle. The Matchbox 63a Ford military ambulance is very similar to a Dinky too.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Here's another Benbros that I really like - the Ford Fairlane Sunliner convertible.This one is hard to find in any colour.
Benbros Ford convertible
Benbros Ford convertible
IMG_7146.jpg (273.02 KiB) Viewed 5794 times
It's another casting with excellent detail, though it's marred by poor manufacture: for example, the casting line across the bonnet and wings. It's another Benbros that isn't quite the shape of the real car - in fact, it looks rather more like a Hillman Super Minx convertible to me.

I think that part of the problem is that the Ford shares its base with both the Hudson and the Chevrolet Nomad, which determines the size of all three models. But I wonder if the pattern maker could ever have seen the real car? There wouldn't have been many of these in the UK, so I expect he had to work from publicity photographs and brochure illustrations.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

That reminds me of the casting line on the Corgi Aston Martin when they changed the front from the original car to the DB5. :)
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

This one is the Benbros station wagon, loosely based on the Chevrolet Nomad. This too comes in lots of colours, but it's most common in dark red. These three are: dark red with black plastic wheels, blue with unpainted metal wheels, dark red with silver plastic wheels.
Attachments
IMG_7250 (1).jpg
IMG_7250 (1).jpg (220.28 KiB) Viewed 5696 times
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

It's over a year since I posted any of my Benbros, so here are a few updates.

First, the number 18 Hudson tourer. Only a couple of new ones, but the red one with the type 2 base is unlisted, as is the cream or beige model with silver trim. The two metallic blue Hudsons in this picture are the same, but all the others are different. The green models here are technically number 41 Army Staff Cars, but are obviously identical except for the colour and a decal on the rear.
IMG_7929.jpg
IMG_7929.jpg (353.99 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
There are lots of variations, with two different bases that can be painted or unpainted, small and large metal wheels that can also be painted or unpainted, and finally black plastic and silver plastic wheels.
IMG_7930.jpg
IMG_7930.jpg (283.64 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
The type 1 base - here in white - is not riveted and has very delicate bumper ends that are often broken. The type 2 base was riveted and has strengthened bumpers.

Next, the number 16 Chevrolet Nomad. My last picture showed three.
IMG_7927.jpg
IMG_7927.jpg (217.43 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
As you can see, I've added two more, not in great condition but both unlisted.The red Nomad has the type 1 base with large unpainted metal wheels. The orange Nomad is an unlisted colour. The same bases were used on the Nomad, the Hudson Tourer, and also the Ford convertible.
IMG_7928.jpg
IMG_7928.jpg (155.48 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
Both of these models were introduced around 1956, and production of all Benbros ended in 1965. They're not nearly as well made or detailed as equivalent Lesneys, but they are charming, there are lots of colours and variations, and it's easy to build up an attractive little collection at a very reasonable price. Even the perfect metallic blue Hudson was only £10 and all the others were cheaper.
Viewfield

Post by Viewfield »

My one and only Benbros:

Rod
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Maybe, but its a good one to have... :D

Ghosty.