Lesney car Axels help please......

Restoration how to's
SupraBob

Re: Lesney car Axels help please......

Post by SupraBob »

Hey Tinman, thanks for your comments.

I appreciate what you are saying about trying to pass off a restored model as an original. I have a rather strong dislike for such people. From what you say it seems that some folks are really are not aware that what they have is not original, but actually a very good restoration.

I have no intention of ever selling anything as these Matchbox models are from my childhood and have sentimental value to me. I only just recently found out that there are all the repro parts and decals for the early Matchbox models available, and so I thought that it would be fun to restore the ones that I have that were damaged or have missing pieces, as they are of no value as is, and the repro parts would destroy the originality anyway. The ones that are in original, albeit well played with, condition, I intend to leave alone. Having said that, I would still like the restored ones to look as original as possible. All of the Matchbox models that I have are from the mid '50's and have a domed head on one end of the axel, and a crimped end on the other. This is the look that I would like to replicate. I believe that using the drill press method to form a dome on one end and then using a rivet squeezer or perhaps Vise Grips for the crimp should be easy, if using aluminum rod. And the aluminum should make it obvious that they are not original, and that the model has been restored.

I attempted to find the tubing and "jewelry findings", but the only "findings" I could locate had heads that were too small. I guess I could have ordered Andy's kit, but for me tracking down the items is part of the fun.

BTW, one thing that I don't understand. Most of the original Matchbox models had a peened back "rivet" that held the chassis on. Some, such as the 66 Greyhound Bus, have two really small peened rivets. For a restoration these have to be drilled out and a self tapping screw or machine screw used to reassemble the model. Some, such as the 35A Horse Box and the 34 VW Microbus have two small tabs that were peened back. These would have to be somehow ground off to release the chassis. Then perhaps a dab of CA to reassemble things. How do these folks who are trying to pass off a restoration as original deal with this to make it look original?

Bob
CrazyDave

Re: Lesney car Axels help please......

Post by CrazyDave »

Howdy and Happy Hollidays!

Been too long since I visited and posted. Was kind of burned out having reached my goal of collecting at least one of every Matchbox models ever made.
To finance that adventure, I fixed up play worn models that I got while buying collections, customized them, replicated rare models, and sold them on eBay.

Saw some of Marty's Matchbox Makeovers videos on YouTube, kind of getting motivated to start the business back up. With all three kids in college, my bank account is under serious attack.
When the weather gets a little warmer, I will drag out (from attic closet) my vast inventory of play worn Matchboxes and finish getting all of them painted and sold.

Hope everyone has a safe and Merry Holiday.