Owt or Nowt?

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Idris
Site Admin

Re: Owt or Nowt?

Post by Idris »

This is the only plastic test shot I've seen apart from Philip's hoard in the 1980s.
Are these common? Can any Member show photographs of other examples?
fixer

Post by fixer »

Idris wrote:This is the only plastic test shot I've seen apart from Philip's hoard in the 1980s.
Are these common? Can any Member show photographs of other examples?
I have a saved picture of this one from the Stacys auction a while ago, and can confirm that it's resin also the then owner also has had several S/F and Superking models in resin some with casting differences and others as far as I could see standard
Attachments
2101_1.jpg
2101_1.jpg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
reg
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I know for sure 'Test Shot' models in resin/plastic date back to 1984 (MB31 Silver Cloud exists). So seems to be an 80's onwards trend.

Ghosthunter.
fixer

Post by fixer »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I know for sure 'Test Shot' models in resin/plastic date back to 1984 (MB31 Silver Cloud exists). So seems to be an 80's onwards trend.

Ghosthunter.
how does that explain the commuter from a decade previously ?
there are also some prototypes not prepro as they never made it into production one being an Aston Martin DB8 like the Corgi Junior currently for sale
reg
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

'Prototypes' in resin are hand produced to gauge the prospect of making the model.
'Test Shots' in resin/plastic are produced in the molds specifically for testing purposes.

The commuter is unusual as it looks to have been produced in the molds used for normal production issues. Was the commuter re-assessed in the 80's for a possible updated re-issue so the molds were tried out using plastic rather than metal!

Ghosthunter.
fixer

Post by fixer »

haven't got a clue mate but it was damn cool .....trying to remember if you was at Brentwood when it was brought out to play
reg
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:'Was the commuter re-assessed in the 80's for a possible updated re-issue so the molds were tried out using plastic rather than metal!
Since the body is paired with an RW baseplate with overlength axles, I think it's probably from the late 1960s.
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

Back to the model shown at the start of this thread, I have not yet seen a picture of its baseplate.

It would be interesting to find out if the baseplate casting is the early one with the round tow hitch opening or the (much more common) later one with the squared tow hitch opening.

Illustration from my website (earlier casting on top):

If it is the earlier baseplate casting, it might be a pre-pro. If it is the later one, it surely is not.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Baseplate photograph as requested.
PK-7.jpg
PK-7.jpg (30.94 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
This appears to be the later design of baseplate so, if not a pre-production, what is it?
Also, just as a general question, we see plenty of metal pre-productions being offered, but no plastic versions, so where in the development process do they fit in?
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

Yes, this is the later baseplate casting.

This is therefore not a pre-pro made before the 1982 introduction of the model.

I cannot explain what it is, nor do I know if it was made at the factory at all. Somebody may have made it privately using a regular production baseplate, but I have no idea why. Of course, any information about provenance would help.