Tanker

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Rob

Re: Tanker

Post by Rob »

I have seen Blue and White plain tankers before so have assumed some did leave the factory without labels.
motorman

Post by motorman »

zBret wrote:
motorman wrote:I would like a base shot please especially the rivets. I inadvertently bought a code 3 Aral Tanker a few years ago (under the influence of drink truth be told) so it would be interesting to establish if the body colour is genuine or a repaint like my drunk purchase turned out to be!! :roll:
Alex
I remembler tahtd inceedint ... reblewing dah threed semms, ,, severile odderr disblinguished memblers prahoodly profffeeessed tooh buyinh thar modles whilssssssst inn dat condeetion ahzz weell
ImageImageImage

zBret
I couldn't have made it any clearer myself! :lol:
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Maestro

Post by Maestro »

The ARAL sticker on the back reminds me of the plastic H0-gauge Kibri kit-sets?
"These may be toys, but this ain't child's play"
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I think the clue here lies in the use of decals on a Superfast model. To me, that effectively rules out a factory origin.
The suggestion that it may have left the factory without labels is an interesting one, since I have never understood why the BP-liveried 25c and (possibly) 32c Tankers rather than the Aral versions were exported to the DDR.
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

I need a couple of bottles of beers to understand that zBret ;)
Gary
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

Idris wrote: The suggestion that it may have left the factory without labels is an interesting one, since I have never understood why the BP-liveried 25c and (possibly) 32c Tankers rather than the Aral versions were exported to the DDR.
The GDR had neither BP nor Aral petrol stations, so it was logical that they got the normal standard worldwide issues - just occasionally with no decoration applied.

The Aral issues were specifically made for the West German and Austrian markets, where the Aral petrol brand was well-known. (Nowadays there are no Aral stations in Austria anymore, as back in 2003 the ones which had existed until then were all re-branded BP.)
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

ChFalkensteiner wrote:
Idris wrote: The suggestion that it may have left the factory without labels is an interesting one, since I have never understood why the BP-liveried 25c and (possibly) 32c Tankers rather than the Aral versions were exported to the DDR.
The GDR had neither BP nor Aral petrol stations, so it was logical that they got the normal standard worldwide issues - just occasionally with no decoration applied.

The Aral issues were specifically made for the West German and Austrian markets, where the Aral petrol brand was well-known. (Nowadays there are no Aral stations in Austria anymore, as back in 2003 the ones which had existed until then were all re-branded BP.)
My thinking was that the East Germans would have known at least something of West Germany. As such, they would more readily have identified with Aral than with BP.