A New Vitrine in my Collection Room

Post photographs of your collection here!
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: A New Vitrine in my Collection Room

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Excellent work Gene adding a new slant on collecting the models by building your own display cabinet for next to nothing!

Can you do one for my many Hundreds of 'Yesteryear' Rolls-Royce models.

Ghosthunter.
zBret

Post by zBret »

Thanks guys
Image Kevin I could build ya one, but I 'd have to go to City Hall to get a building permit !! :lol:

zBret
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

:lol: :lol:

Ghosty.
Fred7A

Post by Fred7A »

You've done a great job on that cabinet Gene, and even better for using materials which would otherwise be thrown away (you've got me thinking of the Wombles now, "making good use of the things that we find, things that the everyday folks leave behind" :lol: ).

The very first display cases I had for my Yesteryears, about 30 years ago, were made from old drawers and scrap glass, but they didn't look half as good as your work!
zBret

Post by zBret »

Thank you Fred
and yes I'm a cross between Tobermory and Wellington :lol:

zBret
zBret

Post by zBret »

My Models of Yesteryear collection has grown and I was ending up with more MOY's than I had cabinet space so, I went back to my scrap pile and turned some salvaged wood and glass into another vitrine- same size and shape as my first one, so now I have two. Also made a couple of mini vitrines.

zBret
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Great idea about the little cabinets holding just two or three models. One of those could easily sit on someones desk in the office.

Ghosthunter.
zBret

Post by zBret »

Thanks Kevin. I really like the mini cabinets too. They aren't too difficult to make and they don't take too much wood, so I plan on making more of them. I used my little vintage Stanley N° 101 wood plane when I was building them.The 101 was produced from 1877-1962. My particular example dates from 1879-1883 according to the trademark style that it has on the plane iron, so is quite old. Its not much bigger than a Y5-2 Bentley :D

zBret
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

That is a lovely little plane and tools of this nature and period are very collectible. Nice Bentley as well.

Ghosthunter.
zBret

Post by zBret »

I happen to have three Y5-2 Bentley's in my MOY collection and three Stanley planes in my rather small, old tool collection.
Back row left to right , The Stanley N° 101 , a Stanley N° 130 double-ended block plane circa 1912-1918 and last My Grandfathers Stanley N° 4 Bailey style
type 11 smoothing plane, also circa 1912-1918 . They aren't just for lookin at though, I actually use them. As they say , old tools are good tools,
because bad tools never become old tools
In front, my three variations of the Y5-2 Bentley.

One of them seems to have your name cast on it Kevin :D

zBret