Casting #62

A showcase of !-75 reg wheel models, a new model every week
Brad Pittiful

Re: Casting #62

Post by Brad Pittiful »

the beater up front is a survivor from my childhood

here is one that has a hole for the new rivet post but also has a slot to hold the base...and next to it is the newer model that uses the rivet

the beater is a survivor from my childhood and the cream cougar is one i painted

Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Excellent find on the #62 base with hole, how unusual that is, not seen that before.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Dave R

Post by Dave R »

I have to wonder if the hole in the early-style baseplate could be an aftermarket dad-added "tow slot"?
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

Dave R wrote:I have to wonder if the hole in the early-style baseplate could be an aftermarket dad-added "tow slot"?
no its a factory hole meant for the new rivet post they added to this model...but as lesney did...they have left over parts they used to make hybrids and new variation to use up old stock...i saw another but the model was minty and the asking price was more than i wanted to pay...i dont look hard for this model as the one i have was a by chance find in my collection...i prolly bought a lot of cars for something specific and this was in the mix...lucky for me
Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

I can vouch first hand for the originality of Dan's model with that odd unused base hole. We must have found just a single mint one boxed from the factory when these regular wheels were still being sold in our local Upstate N.Y. stores. The shame of it is that we were unaware of the odd unused base hole ours had until a few years later while checking our "spares"! If we had spotted this unused base hole while we were originally buying that "common" T.V. Van, we would have certainly bought every model like it that the store had "in stock" for snail mail trading with other early Lesney collectors. I see in my notes that one of our decals has factory damage from it's application, but ours is the only example I had ever seen or heard of until reading Dan's story on his Van today. Thanks for showing yours here Dan and for mentioning the other Mint one like it that you had seen for sale. That's at least three now that we know have survived out of what may have been only a limited production done during the base changeover on this Van. "George's Casting Show" has now produced another virtually unknown rare changeover variation that should eventually be coded or at least noted at Nick's site in my humble opinion. If it is to be deemed just another "factory error", so be it. More examples will turn up as secretive detailists (LOL) now look closer at the bases of these "common" early Rentaset Vans both on E Bay out of early as well as modern collections, and also at our favorite Toy and Train Shows from our favorite Sellers.
The details on our model are BP 11X45 Wheels, Earlier 2.5 mm high ladder rests, the early rear door guide without right angled braces, and obviously the early front base clip that still holds the base on our Van. The sight of that extra empty base hole is still quite exciting, as Dan now knows quite well.......kwakers
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

kwakers wrote:I can vouch first hand for the originality of Dan's model with that odd unused base hole. We must have found just a single mint one boxed from the factory when these regular wheels were still being sold in our local Upstate N.Y. stores. The shame of it is that we were unaware of the odd unused base hole ours had until a few years later while checking our "spares"! If we had spotted this unused base hole while we were originally buying that "common" T.V. Van, we would have certainly bought every model like it that the store had "in stock" for snail mail trading with other early Lesney collectors. I see in my notes that one of our decals has factory damage from it's application, but ours is the only example I had ever seen or heard of until reading Dan's story on his Van today. Thanks for showing yours here Dan and for mentioning the other Mint one like it that you had seen for sale. That's at least three now that we know have survived out of what may have been only a limited production done during the base changeover on this Van. "George's Casting Show" has now produced another virtually unknown rare changeover variation that should eventually be coded or at least noted at Nick's site in my humble opinion. If it is to be deemed just another "factory error", so be it. More examples will turn up as secretive detailists (LOL) now look closer at the bases of these "common" early Rentaset Vans both on E Bay out of early as well as modern collections, and also at our favorite Toy and Train Shows from our favorite Sellers.
The details on our model are BP 11X45 Wheels, Earlier 2.5 mm high ladder rests, the early rear door guide without right angled braces, and obviously the early front base clip that still holds the base on our Van. The sight of that extra empty base hole is still quite exciting, as Dan now knows quite well.......kwakers
hi Dick...funny thing...i forgot i am watching one on ebay...its been in my watch list for a couple months...its BIN auction and somewhat pricey for me as thats why i never bought it...funny thing is...i went looking for one after i posted to Dave R...just for fun...then i found it but it said i was watching it...i totally forgot about it :lol:...so i guess thats 4
Dave R

Post by Dave R »

Very interesting! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the baseplate "tab" wider on the later rivet-base models than on the earlier tab-in-slot models? So either Lesney had to modify the base mold twice (first to add the hole, second to widen the tab); or they had to file or machine the tab narrow enough to fit the slot in the old bodies, right? (But if they didn't want to throw away those perfectly good bodies, presumably already painted and with windows installed, I guess that is indeed what they did!) Thanks for showing this, amazing what is still being discovered so many decades after the regular wheel era ended.
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Thanks Dan for all the updates in George's casting show. I've always enjoyed looking at your collection. You have so many interesting models, and some very beautiful and desirable boxes too. There is plenty in your posts that enhance this forum and provide an excellent photographic record of some very rare and obscure variations.

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

Taniwha wrote:Thanks Dan for all the updates in George's casting show. I've always enjoyed looking at your collection. You have so many interesting models, and some very beautiful and desirable boxes too. There is plenty in your posts that enhance this forum and provide an excellent photographic record of some very rare and obscure variations.

Cheers,
Gavin
youre welcome...i finally found an easy way to move my lesney pics from one photobucket account to another...now if i get locked out of my main account...my car pics will still be usable or i can add pics...thanks for the kind words...just trying to add useful content to the glorious forum here! ive been very lucky in my finds over the years...so i guess its good to have luck and money...too bad i dont have the money like i used to :lol:
durangokid

Post by durangokid »

Hey Dan,
Great pics! On the 62B vans, is the GPW "Radio Rentals" an original? That is a VERY hard to find model and very seldom seen...............
Nice!

Bill
DurangoKid