M6a pickfords 200 ton transporter.

Lesney Matchbox Accessory packs, Major packs, King-Size & Superkings
Henk

Re: M6a pickfords 200 ton transporter.

Post by Henk »

Hello everybody.

Thank you all for the information.
The information is very usefull and I learned a lot of it.
Greetings from the Netherlands. Henk
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Given the comments above, I suspect that the lion's share of what may well have been the only run of this hybrid colour combination was shipped to the States. I would consider it rare in the UK, having only seen one example for sale (which I now own). Perhaps we should consider it as an htf on a par with, say, the metallic green 23c Bluebird Dauphine Caravan.
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

I had thought about posting the fact that maybe the hybrid color M6A was mainly shipped to the U.S. also Idris, but you now have beat me to it. It may be Rare in the U.K., similar to the early green 68 Mercedes buses in Europe, but were (and still may be?) far more common and just considered HTF here in the colonies. The green 23C can be considered rare here in the U.S. Idris, :D so maybe Henk's colored Pickfords could be defined as such in the U.K. from your experience? :?:
My second point is that as a young lad, I never owned or played with one of these Giant Pickfords transporters. The model was awesome and very different from our heavy road units here in the U.S., so maybe it had more success as an adult collectible out of our stores over here. Once the Race Hauler replaced this Pickfords, it was far more popular of a Lesney because everyone here was playing with their Aurora slot car sets, even our Dad's and Uncles. Every Race Track 'parking lot' had to have at least 2 of these Haulers in it, so any unsold discontinued Pickfords were still left for us collectors to buy up as trading spares in 1967. kwakers
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

A point of yours to pick on Idris: Your wording of 'the "only" run of this hybrid colour combination' still makes this model sound Super Rare. From our yanks' point of view, it was probably a short run, but seems to have been found on thousands of Henk's colored Pickfords shipped to the U.S. before they finally lightened the Truck and bogies' blue for the final variations. Unlike the rare mixed color 69 Hatra which were hybrids done to use up old parts on maybe 1000 toys, These 'Henk's' Pickfords still seem more of an interum color run to me tonight. We need more opinions I guess, but this international comparison of rarity of models has been interesting as usual..........kwakers
Moyboy

Post by Moyboy »

Not sure if I got this right but original post was dark cab unit, maroon trailer - was it rare. I thought this was a normal colour release same as light blue cab, bright red trailer. Only one I have that is different is dark blue cab, bright red trailer which I thought was an interim using up dark cabs that were leftover - this was the one I considered rare - am I wrong?
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Moyboy wrote:Not sure if I got this right but original post was dark cab unit, maroon trailer - was it rare. I thought this was a normal colour release same as light blue cab, bright red trailer. Only one I have that is different is dark blue cab, bright red trailer which I thought was an interim using up dark cabs that were leftover - this was the one I considered rare - am I wrong?
What Henk wrote was:
Henk wrote:I bought a car from someone who had him in possession for 50 years. It's the early dark blue colored pickford transporter with the later coloured dark red trailer bed.
I interpreted that to mean the hybrid livery of dark blue tractor and bogies combined with the red trailer bed. That is the one I have been referring to and that is the one I consider to be htf (here in the UK).
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Idris wrote:
Moyboy wrote:Not sure if I got this right but original post was dark cab unit, maroon trailer - was it rare. I thought this was a normal colour release same as light blue cab, bright red trailer. Only one I have that is different is dark blue cab, bright red trailer which I thought was an interim using up dark cabs that were leftover - this was the one I considered rare - am I wrong?
What Henk wrote was:
Henk wrote:I bought a car from someone who had him in possession for 50 years. It's the early dark blue colored pickford transporter with the later coloured dark red trailer bed.
I interpreted that to mean the hybrid livery of dark blue tractor and bogies combined with the red trailer bed. That is the one I have been referring to and that is the one I consider to be htf (here in the UK).
Henk wrote a note just under top photo
quote "The one on top is the oldest type and the one on the bottem the latest type. The middle one is the car I'm talking about in my post."

Hello Henk, idris, kwakers, antonin, tinman, moyboy and all,

Yes Henk has stated the vehicle in the middle….but did you notice some fine detail in top model as well? :o :D

Henk, I see you have an interesting wheel combination on your Pickfords at the top of each picture.

Fine tread count (FBPW) on the front dollie/bogie of the trailer and Coarse or knobbly tread (KBPW) on the rear of the trailer and. An indication that the model production line was about to have all fine tread wheels in the timeline.

Now that is what I would call an all weather wet/dry transporter trailer and a very nice bonus. :) :)

Normally I would think the dollie/bogie assemblies would have had wheels and axles fitted prior to being riveted to main bed but on this model the midle axle obscures rivet. So it would have been and interesting assembly process, made even more interesting with the fine tread. I have never seen this before, good show Henk.

Very nice, and I think your Scammel at top in each pic would be placed at code 3 or 4 on the variation table.
Attachments
Lesney m6 note fine tread front bogie with kbpw at rear bogie image cropped.jpg
Lesney m6 note fine tread front bogie with kbpw at rear bogie image cropped.jpg (132.05 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

yellowfoden wrote:I think your Scammel at top in each pic would be placed at code 3 or 4 on the variation table....
...if only we had one!
Henk

Post by Henk »

Hello Yellowfoden,

Thank you very very much for your information!
I never saw the difference between the wheels and I am very happy you did!
Thanks for noting this!

Greetings Henk
Henk

Post by Henk »

I asked the guy from who I bought the pickfords,where the car came from. He got sometimes presents off an uncle from America.
The Pickfords is also sent from America to him, so my pickfords comes from America.
Here in the Netherlands I have never seen one.
Greetings Henk