62c cougar oddity

Is it genuine or is it fake?
Idris
Site Admin

Re: 62c cougar oddity

Post by Idris »

I've just checked mine: a nice, neat, factory-spun rivet. On the other hand, yours looks like it might never have been spun and has simply been attacked with something in order to hold the glazing unit in place.
Looking at my example, I see that there is almost no overspray under the bonnet. How does that compare with yours, Frank? (I can't quite make it out on your baseplate photograph.)
moston100

Post by moston100 »

This pic might show it better Hugh. There is some paint under the bonnett but less from the front axle towards the rear.
Attachments
under bonnett.jpg
under bonnett.jpg (199.21 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I think Moston's first base picture shows the overspray arrowed Orange, better and looking at the picture here, it looks like the finish is more 'GLOSS' than 'MATT' as proper 'Overspray' would be, however, if this was a later body casting, would there be cast pips on the boss arrowed Blue!
62c1.jpg
62c1.jpg (259.07 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
It does seem to be the correct period (if rather late), body and baseplate castings and it may well be that a previous owner wanted a Right-Hand drive Cougar, so carried out the seat conversion himself, hence the disturbed rivet.

Ghosty.
numi

Post by numi »

Sorry Frank,we know the feeling of disappointment but better luck next time!
The body casting is later and does not possess the initial-run Cream Cougar casting flaws.The base is correct with the High-A.The color match is scary-close but lacks the key yellow.Also shows a very thick paint application which the genuine Cream Cougar lacks and this body shows signs of being dipped in harsh chemicals before the paint application.The body shows clear signs of distortion,perhaps had been clamped during the base removal & re-fitment.Clearly a home-brew!
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

numi wrote:The body casting is later and does not possess the initial-run Cream Cougar casting flaws...i
Not too sure what you're referring to, Numi. I've had a look at Nick's catalogue page for this model and the body casting looks correct (i.e. it's the first type). What casting flaws are you thinking of?
At the moment, what I see is the correct body casting, the correct baseplate and (within the margins of error associated with photographs and computer screens) probably the correct body colour. In addition, we have the conundrum of what looks to be an unspun glazing rivet, possible evidence of prying damage to the body, a suspect (but spun) base rivet and a later glazing unit. Without further evidence or having inspected the model in the hand and compared it to my own example, I am loathe to write off the bodyshell as a repaint (although I do have serious reservations regarding the overspray pattern).
numi

Post by numi »

Hi Idris,we all have heard about your Cream Cougar and i vouch that all of the members on here incl myself would like to have a peek at it.I would then point out the casting flaws... ;)
Thanks in advance.
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

numi wrote:Hi Idris,we all have heard about your Cream Cougar and i vouch that all of the members on here incl myself would like to have a peek at it.I would then point out the casting flaws... ;)
I'll see what I can do (but don't hold your breath!).
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:
numi wrote:Hi Idris,we all have heard about your Cream Cougar and i vouch that all of the members on here incl myself would like to have a peek at it.I would then point out the casting flaws... ;)
I'll see what I can do (but don't hold your breath!).
As promised:
62c-1.JPG
62c-1.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1771 times
62c-2.JPG
62c-2.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1771 times
62c-3.JPG
62c-3.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 1771 times
62c-4.JPG
62c-4.JPG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 1771 times
Apologies for the photographs all being a bit on the big side (understatement), but at least they show plenty of detail! I also think the colour balance is pretty good, clearly showing the model to be a very, very rich cream (almost a very pale yellow) rather than a shade of off-white.

I've kept my side so the bargain, so Numi, over to you!
moston100

Post by moston100 »

Nice pics Hugh and yours certainly has more of a yellowy tint than the one which I had.
Cheers
Frank
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

Very nice original Cream Cougar Idris! Your extra large pictures are a little tough for a caveman to manipulate, but what good clarity they give us on this one's details. The Big surprise to me is that your base has a Patent number showing. Your model is a spectacular original, so apparently Nick has some work to do on his Guide now. Mike Stannard coded this Cream Cougar with no note of it's missing the patent number on it's base. Nick has the first two cream codes, and also a third in green without patent numbers, so does this make yours a new Nick variation number 3 Idris? or, Do we have a coding mistake from someone's input when Nick drafted this #62 Cougar base information?
This is really one of the rarest Lesneys that few of us will ever see in our lifetime. Thanks for showing it here. I look forward to Numi's input on both her base patent number, and also on the casting flaws she mentioned on these early Cougar bodies. :o :o kwakers