Casting #24

A showcase of !-75 reg wheel models, a new model every week
SMS88

Re: Casting #24

Post by SMS88 »

IF the blue colour precisely matches the lightest metallic shade + grain used on the RW Iso , that would be sufficient for me to take it seriously as a genuine colour trial especially if the sills show paint tray blobs because we know colour trials were usually tray painted rather than hung from hooks. Even if it has a tow guide, there is every reason to expect Lesney to have considered recolouring this model in 1969 for the new Superfast version especially when we know from E box art that blue was such a strong contender that a blue sample was sent to the box artist.
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Hi Ghosty I never suggested that it was a Pre_pro model, I bought this in a normal Toy Shop for the Box and was very surprised when I got home and opened the box to find a Blue model.

This model was not repainted by a previous owner, as it was straight from Matchbox Factory to the Toy Shop.

That is why I said this must be a done by a Matchbox Employee, as the body must have been sprayed before the base was fitted, the interior boot spray is the same on the Blue model as the normal Red model.

These pictures of the boot and base show no mucking about with the rivet, and the underneath of the sides are to good to be other wise.

Some thing to Mull Over in your mind.

George T.
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Hello Mick and John, I cannot match it up with any Blue models it is all ways a bit lighter blue, here it is with the blue 46c Mercedes.

I have seen some Mercedes in a Lighter Blue than this one, maybe a different base paint or undercoat was used ;) .

George T.
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

kerbside wrote:Hello Mick and John, I cannot match it up with any Blue models it is all ways a bit lighter blue, here it is with the blue 46c Mercedes.

I have seen some Mercedes in a Lighter Blue than this one, maybe a different base paint or undercoat was used ;) .

George T.
Does George have a lightest metallic blue RW Iso to match it to because by eye that colour has the yellow tone and the grain to match (never looked close to the #46 colour!). The wear on the tyres is very odd for a new store sold model however if it had been used by R& D previously and then given as a sales sample to a Matchbox salesman it could have ended up boxed when the salesman needed a standard red one for his samples case!
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

blue rolls is fake...i made it

Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Recently added another 24a Weatherill, this time with 44a metal wheels on the front.(also have one with 4b metal front wheels)
My question is that both the 44a and 24a models with metal wheels, have the same size wheels(average 9.2mm).
But all my notes list the 24a as 9mm and the 44a as 9.5mm.
Does anyone else have notes on this.
Jason
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I recently had my collection of #24c Silver Shadow models out of storage for a bit more indexing etc and noticed a late production issue had a front tyre missing and the others were fairly loose. The model was in pretty good condition so did not consider the tyres to have been subjected to a lot of 'Play Ware'.

I was supprised to find another example with the same tyres and this was puzzling until I looked closer only to discover these tyres were larger than normal, the question was how am I going to find a replacement for the first example!!

I did not know which models had a tyres that could be used, I had not considered the possibility of a slightly larger tyre and my search at toy fairs drew up nothing.

At the recent Brentwood toy fair my friend Reg ("Fixer"), brought a regular Wheel model for the purpose of using one of it's tyres as a replacement for one of his models, by chance while looking at that spare model in our midday meeting, I was sure the tyres looked larger but not significantly so and it occured to me they might just be the right size for my #24c. Reg has loaned me the model and sure enough, the tyre fits perfectly...!

So my question now, who else has a late issue (the model with all the casting modifications), #24c with large tyres?

My Two examples were sourced from Two entirely different locations, so the possibility of both models losing their original tyres and somebody fitting replacements from the same model aquired by Reg is pretty slim, they must have been fitted from new by Lesney.

I wonder if these had been seen before, because if you look at the image used by 'Stannard' (Thank's Alex for the picture), it looks to me as the tyres on it are also larger!!
Stannard image..jpg
Stannard image..jpg (22.09 KiB) Viewed 7124 times
Do you think the tyres here are filling the wheel-arches?
DSC06740.JPG
DSC06740.JPG (55.24 KiB) Viewed 7124 times
GHOSTHUNTER.
fixer

Post by fixer »

glad it worked mate
reg
Ecclesley

Post by Ecclesley »

Found these 24c's today, probably repaints, but they look quite good......
Attachments
$_85.JPG
$_85.JPG (32.29 KiB) Viewed 7100 times
$_85c.JPG
$_85c.JPG (29.6 KiB) Viewed 7100 times
$_85a.JPG
$_85a.JPG (30.21 KiB) Viewed 7100 times
$_85b.JPG
$_85b.JPG (32.1 KiB) Viewed 7100 times
The quickest way to end a war? Lose it!
See (part of) my collection here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/broadcaster/
matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

Can you show some photo's of inside the boot, specifically the hinge area.

Cheers, Steve
Matchboxkiwi