57b Chevrolet Impala

one new model to be updated each week
numi

Re: 57b

Post by numi »

Taniwha wrote:One thing that I'm not sure is noted in any guides is that the clear windows of the 57b are a different shape to the green tinted windows - can be seen in these pictures:

The clear windows curve in at the bottom on the front, whereas the green tinted ones have a straighter edge. This makes me wonder if there are green tinted windows with the earlier shape on some of the earlier variations?

Cheers,
Gavin
Hi Gavin,could this Impala window belong to different model/casting and was fitted in error at the factory.
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
motorman

Post by motorman »

numi wrote:
Taniwha wrote:One thing that I'm not sure is noted in any guides is that the clear windows of the 57b are a different shape to the green tinted windows - can be seen in these pictures:

The clear windows curve in at the bottom on the front, whereas the green tinted ones have a straighter edge. This makes me wonder if there are green tinted windows with the earlier shape on some of the earlier variations?

Cheers,
Gavin
Hi Gavin,could this Impala window belong to different model/casting and was fitted in error at the factory.
numi
I think you are right about the glazing Numi, have you any thoughts what model the glazing should be married up with?

The shape of the rear c pillar may limit the number of models this glazing would fit.

Has it been fitted in reverse but still the wrong glazing for this model?
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

numi wrote:
kwakers wrote:His 57-2A variation number 4 is still shown as being in his collection and having a red base and KSGPW, which means knobby silver gray plastic wheels, which we now just call 9X20 silver plastic wheels in Nick's Guide. Did he change his listing of this one from maroon in your 1971 Guide to red as in my 1973 2nd edition of his NAMC Guide Idris? This 9X20 tread count has aggressive deep treads on it that Bob calls 'knobby', while Nick's other 9X24 SPW has a smoother non-aggressive tread design that Bob simply called SGPW when describing them as being 2 different wheel designs in his Guides.
If Bob published a red/maroon base on this 57-2 Chevrolet Impala, there is no doubt it was delivered that way from the Lesney Factory and is a known U.S. variation that he may still own. Didn't one of these show up a few years ago in a picture on the Lefora site, or am I mistaken on that memory?
Sorry for the delay in my answer Idris, it was a beautiful day to work on the 3rd story roof today and 'finish off' my vacation......LOL kwakers
Heres a pic from the old forum.This belongs to an ex-forum member and in beautiful condition too!
numi
Hmmmm.....one of my bugbears: an extremely rare (possibly unique) model and, guess what? It's mint!
numi

Post by numi »

[/quote]

Heres a pic from the old forum.This belongs to an ex-forum member and in beautiful condition too!
numi[/quote]

Hmmmm.....one of my bugbears: an extremely rare (possibly unique) model and, guess what? It's mint![/quote]

There could be more around and noticed if one looks carefully and if sellers would add good base pics.
Heres one that got away about 2mths ago in Fr. @ 465e as i felt thats what it was worth risking without having good comms & relevant pics from seller.
numi
Attachments
#57 IMPALA.JPG
#57 IMPALA.JPG (178.57 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Hello All,

So, I went and dug it out for another look. It is definitely the correct glazing for the model - having done a few comparisons with similar models, the shape simply wouldn't fit.

I have to say, this is more pronounced in the photo. Having looked at the model in hand again and compared it with a couple of green tinted examples, I believe this is actually more an optical illusion - perhaps the clear colour or even the thickness of the glass exaggerates the shape in the photos.

I mentioned this apparent difference having recalled someone commenting on the window shape on an earlier post where I showed the same photos - this might even have been in Befora days.

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
numi

Post by numi »

Hi Gavin,please give us a dead-on side view or a few more angles of the front windscreen incl the pillar cos this is quite interesting.It sure looks off shape so could it be just an optical illusion as u say or any malformation for that matter.Lets help u out here! :)
Thanks,numi
numi

GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I think the glazing is the correct moulding for the model in question, but because it is clear, the thicker lower section on each side around the front corners, is more noticable than the green mouldings.

Go back to the earlier picture with both models in the same shot and look closely at the right-hand side model with green glazing and it appears to me to be the same as the left-hand model with clear glazing.

The green tinting is masking the internal structure of this complicated piece of glazing.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

numi wrote:There could be more around and noticed if one looks carefully and if sellers would add good base pics.
Heres one that got away about 2mths ago in Fr. @ 465e as i felt thats what it was worth risking without having good comms & relevant pics from seller.
Well spotted, Numi! However, I would agree that €465 (pus p&p) is a lot for a speculative bid.
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I think the glazing is the correct moulding for the model in question, but because it is clear, the thicker lower section on each side around the front corners, is more noticable than the green mouldings.

Go back to the earlier picture with both models in the same shot and look closely at the right-hand side model with green glazing and it appears to me to be the same as the left-hand model with clear glazing.

The green tinting is masking the internal structure of this complicated piece of glazing.

GHOSTHUNTER.
I think you're right Ghosty. I could get some more pictures, but might take until the weekend...

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
numi

Post by numi »

Idris wrote:
numi wrote:There could be more around and noticed if one looks carefully and if sellers would add good base pics.
Well spotted, Numi! However, I would agree that €465 (pus p&p) is a lot for a speculative bid.
I agree with u Idris as sometimes we lack dire judgement!
numi
numi