Review of Replacement parts & decals (and sources)

Restoration how to's
SupraBob

Re: Review of Replacement parts & decals (and sources)

Post by SupraBob »

I just checked out Toydecals.com(Rick's Toy Box). He now stocks only stickers for both RW and SF. So his products would only be authentic for models that originally had stickers instead of decals. I'm a newbie, but I believe that would be the later ones such as the SF versions. Buyer beware..............
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

SupraBob wrote:I just checked out Toydecals.com(Rick's Toy Box). He now stocks only stickers for both RW and SF. So his products would only be authentic for models that originally had stickers instead of decals. I'm a newbie, but I believe that would be the later ones such as the SF versions. Buyer beware..............
Some time back, I posted a comment about Rick's switch to peel and stick instead of water slide. The peel and stick are the same artwork as his decals (for the most part) and the clear film is pretty thin (although not as thin as water slide).  Some prefer the peel and stick, I prefer water slide (and I ended up with the remaining stock of some of his various water slide decals). When installing a replacement decal, the difference between water slide and peel and stick film is a personal preference and does not affect authenticity. There is no authenticity with a restored model, the quality of the restoration is the main concern for the most part.

He does clearly note his products as being peel & stick. I would not compare the peel and stick clear film to that of paper labels as the film is thin by comparison.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
SupraBob

Post by SupraBob »

I understand the idea that a restoration is not authentic in any case, but I would still prefer it to look as "factory original" as possible. And any restorations are for my own personal satisfaction so the model can be displayed and will not be for resale, at least not by me. Another consideration is that there are cases where the original water slide decal fits in a "frame" for want of a better word, where the edges of the decal are not seen. For example the "Dunlop" name on the 25a. In these cases one would not be able to tell if it was a water slide or a peel 'n stick. For models where the edge can be seen, I would certainly prefer a water slide transfer. Rick's examples on his site certainly look to be very good repros of the original water slide transfers as far as colors, fonts and size.
SupraBob

Post by SupraBob »

Well, I am looking for a painted repro driver for the 19A MG Midget. I just checked ToyResto, and Karl is out of business again. I only had a couple of transactions with him, but I felt that his prices were fair and since he was in the U.S., shipping was a lot less than dealing with the two companies in Europe. Sorry to see him go. Business is for sale, so it seems that this will be it. His remaining inventory, for Matchbox mostly window units, is for sale at his eBay store.

Bob
SupraBob

Post by SupraBob »

Looking for a 10mm or 13mm "Esso" transfer or label for the 11a Petrol Tanker. Seems that all the usual sites only carry the larger 11b version. Anyone know where I can obtain an 11a version?

Thanks for any help.
paelzermaen

Post by paelzermaen »

SupraBob wrote:Looking for a 10mm or 13mm "Esso" transfer or label for the 11a Petrol Tanker. Seems that all the usual sites only carry the larger 11b version. Anyone know where I can obtain an 11a version?

Thanks for any help.
Look here :

https://blacksquaredecals.co.uk/index.p ... ers-Decals

I get the decals for my customized models from him. Good quality, good prices.
THOMAS
in Black Forest
SupraBob

Post by SupraBob »

Thanks for the tip. I have actually ordered from Black Square previously, but had forgotten about the site. I was just about to order the door "Esso" label for the Scammel Heavy Wrecker King Size from Rick's Toy, which would have been the size of the small 10 mm "Esso" on the 11a, but the larger 13 mm one will certainly look better.

Thanks again,

Bob
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I forget the guy's name at Black square, but he can easily resize his decals.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

SupraBob wrote:Well, I am looking for a painted repro driver for the 19A MG Midget.
I might have and extra of that one, I'll have to dig into my stock over the upcoming weekend and I'll let you know. Are you looking for the 19a or the 19b driver?

Edit: Silly me, you list 19a right in your post.
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

Can i butt in please (thanks) looking for 2b dvr.
Gary