65a 3.4 litre jaguar

Is it genuine or is it fake?
brian

Re: 65a 3.4 litre jaguar

Post by brian »

numi wrote:This specimen is highly questionable in my books.
The baseplate with much larger rivet holes and with signs of being drilled sure looks like a donor with evidence of tampering and being in & out a few times. Quite amateurish i might add. The front wheel seems to be an oops.
Sorry,just my take.
numi
thanks for view don't be sorry thats why i put it on here to see what people thought.what do you mean by( being in & out a few times).
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

[quote="numi"]This specimen is highly questionable in my books. The baseplate with much larger rivet holes and with signs of being drilled sure looks like a donor with evidence of tampering and being in & out a few times. Quite amateurish i might add. The front wheel seems to be an oops./quote]

Hmmm...I see what you mean about the holes in the baseplate, but I would argue that the rivets themselves do not look as though they have been drilled out. Furthermore, there is no ring of bright metal around the rivet holes in the baseplate so, although I can see your reasoning, I'm not sure that I agree with you. However, putting all that to one side, the obvious question would be 'why?'. If someone is going to go to all that trouble and effort, then you might reasonably expect a baseplate with four identical wheels to be used with what appears to be a mint body.
Could it perhaps be that the holes in the baseplate appear oversized because the rivets haven't been spun?
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Hi Brian,
Just cannot decide myself with this model, how far out of the base does the rivet protrude.
Can you tell me what is inside the model -dust?
Maybe they were removed from the factory before assembly, seems a bit odd to me. Does look to be in very good condition on the outside compared to the inside.
Regards Jason
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
brian

Post by brian »

nearlymint wrote:Hi Brian,
Just cannot decide myself with this model, how far out of the base does the rivet protrude.
Can you tell me what is inside the model -dust?
Maybe they were removed from the factory before assembly, seems a bit odd to me. Does look to be in very good condition on the outside compared to the inside.
Regards Jason
hi jason
the rivets protrude just under 1mm.looking with a magnifying glass i would say its where the over spray has not covered all the metal.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Thanks Brian, just cannot decide about the rivet. Just not sure how they would do this without damaging the paint.
All of the models I have seen in the past at least damage the paint, very strange.
As Hugh has said would be nice to compare to another metallic jag one day at a toy fair.
All the best
Jason
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

I am satisfied from the photos that these rivits have never been spun, the baseplate holes are normal sized,its the diameter of the rivits which is undersized,looks like an honest factory hand assembled toy to me,perhaps a sales sample!
brian

Post by brian »

SMS88 wrote:I am satisfied from the photos that these rivits have never been spun, the baseplate holes are normal sized,its the diameter of the rivits which is undersized,looks like an honest factory hand assembled toy to me,perhaps a sales sample!
hi sms88

i hope i can arrange to meet someone from the forum to have a look at the whole batch of vehicles that i purchased from that auction as most of them have something different about them.was thinking of going to alsbury toy fair on sunday so if any member is going could meet up and have a look.
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Mick (sms88) lives in Denmark so I don't think you will be seeing him at Aylesbury. But there's a good chance some of the other members will be there.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
brian

Post by brian »

nickjones wrote:Mick (sms88) lives in Denmark so I don't think you will be seeing him at Aylesbury. But there's a good chance some of the other members will be there.
hi nick

i hope we will meet one day at a toy fair for you to have a look at the cars with the chisel rivets.i got talking to a member of this forum at potters bar toy fair and thats why i joined.
numi

Post by numi »

brian wrote:
numi wrote:This specimen is highly questionable in my books.
The baseplate with much larger rivet holes and with signs of being drilled sure looks like a donor with evidence of tampering and being in & out a few times. Quite amateurish i might add. The front wheel seems to be an oops.
Sorry,just my take.
numi
thanks for view don't be sorry thats why i put it on here to see what people thought.what do you mean by( being in & out a few times).
Idris wrote: Hmmm...I see what you mean about the holes in the baseplate, but I would argue that the rivets themselves do not look as though they have been drilled out. Furthermore, there is no ring of bright metal around the rivet holes in the baseplate so, although I can see your reasoning, I'm not sure that I agree with you. However, putting all that to one side, the obvious question would be 'why?'. If someone is going to go to all that trouble and effort, then you might reasonably expect a baseplate with four identical wheels to be used with what appears to be a mint body.
Could it perhaps be that the holes in the baseplate appear oversized because the rivets haven't been spun?
Hi Brian,could u please upload clear close-up pics of the areas marked in yellow so that we all can have a better view and insight as to exactly why this baseplate & rivets may seem odd to most of us.Also add a side view of the chieselled rivets if possible so that we can view & determine the heights.
Thanks for your time.
numi

@Idris,i guess we all will know more for sure once Brian uploads more pics.
Regards numi
Attachments
dd50512f-f8f9-4b65-addd-258ecbfb7efb_zps7e3dfa9f.jpg
dd50512f-f8f9-4b65-addd-258ecbfb7efb_zps7e3dfa9f.jpg (71.59 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.