AJR's Customs

Any brand, any year, show us your projects.
Tinman

Re: AJR's Customs

Post by Tinman »

Both base castings can be found on models originally built as tractors only for the low loader set. They can come with or without tow hook. I guess the only way to tell if it had a dozer blade would be if the pins were still in place or you could see some excessive wear around the holes where the pins would go. But just finding the tractor without the blade and the K3 dozer base means nothing by itself (as they were interchanged freely when just making tractors).

I've always suspected Lesney made an error calling the model a D9 as there are too many differences for that to be accurate. However, since it's a toy model, who really cares? There not like today's licensed models that have to conform to the patent holder's standards.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
AJR

Post by AJR »

Both base castings can be found on models originally built as tractors only for the low loader set. They can come with or without tow hook.

That would explain a few things.
The grey one has no hook or any hint of one having snapped off.
As a crawler though, a hook should be a must have.
AJR

Post by AJR »

I have a few beaters on the bench at the moment.
A Matchbox Saladin missing its gun barrel and a broken wheel.
The gun barrel was easy enough to fix ...
I drilled into the stub, added a length of brass rod and then sweated on a short length of copper tube reamed out to within a gnats whisker.
I think that I'll repaint it into desert sand then hopefully I can buy a nice drab green example to display it with.
The half wheel may have to stay on the blind side of the display case as the wheels have a moulded in spacer.
Maybe a normal wheel suitably spaced would work.
IMG_4666s.jpg
IMG_4667s.jpg
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

AJR wrote:The half wheel may have to stay on the blind side of the display case as the wheels have a moulded in spacer.
Maybe a normal wheel suitably spaced would work.
Very nice job on the barrel! I've done several that had broken wheels (and one with no wheels) by making small spacers that fit over the axles and using a common wheel of the correct size and tread count.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
AJR

Post by AJR »

Using a Dinky 948 GMC tractor unit I had lying about, I decided it would be a candidate for upgrading to the "Cannonball" from the 1958 ITC TV series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umvbqPUMoKg
The casting isn't bad for its age but could do with improving a bit.
The Dinky McLean trailer is incorrect for the C&A Transport trailer but as I don't have the trailer anyway, this will be just the tractor / horse unit until a suitable trailer candidate comes along.
A bit of work on the Dinky McLean trailer might be a good starting point though if I can get hold of one cheap enough to butcher or overlay ... it is only plastic after all.
The Dinky wheels and tyres will be junked to be replaced with modern Corgi Classics wheels from the Mack B as these are the correct pattern and co-incidentally just the right size.
Details to be added will include windscreen wipers (scratch made), exhaust stack (scratch made), roof horns (from a Matchbox Scammell), mudguard indicators, suzie pipes, cab interior and maybe scratch made door mirrors if I'm brave enough.
Holes have been drilled though to add these at a later date.
Already added are quarter lights and a rear sleeper window.
The three centre roof markers have been filed off and a fifth wheel (large metal washer) added ... not great but better than it was.

(more photos to be added when forum gets fixed).
cannonball05-640x430.jpg
Cannonball screenshot.png
AJR

Post by AJR »

Montage of progress so far ...
Attachments
Montage.jpg