New here - thoughts on touching in dinky Toys ?

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
dee

New here - thoughts on touching in dinky Toys ?

Post by dee »

HI ,,at 74 , I do prefer my toys to be in fair condition , but finances preclude buying expensive ones .
I have 'dotted in' a couple of my favourite Dinky 290 base which look fine on display, if somewhat dissed on closer inspection .
Many seem to regard this as sacrilege , but there are jus so may examples of 50s Dinkys available .
I am considering a 1954 Bedford Pullman Car Transporter around £45 with scratches to the cab roof which spoils in a bit for me .
I have two near immaculate examples of all over 742 light blue and the later two tone 982.
I 'need' another couple due to restricted space for my Atlas copies .
I was thinking designer's gouache [ ex Interior designer ] which would not be permanent .
Thanks
dee
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: New here - thoughts on touching in dinky Toys ?

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hello Dee, welcome to the forum.

If issues with a hobby start to become worrying then it is time to change the hobby or walk away from it altogether!

You should do what pleases you with so called collectible toy cars, not what you perceive should or should not be done because of the apparant idea that every toy with the name Dinky on it is worth a fortune, they are not, unless like another forum member you come across some real gems and seek advice from the experts we have here to determin their true status.

If you know you have previously recorded rare models then leave them in their original as found condition but if after some research of the available reference material your models are common issues then touching up paintwork is fine and very pleasing to do and you must make it clear if you sell them on to another collector that they have been worked by yourself to cover up chips and blemishes etc.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

It's your stuff, do what you want with it.

As my wife is want to remind me, most of my "stuff" would be other people's "crap."

So, take Ghosthunters advice, leave the valuable stuff alone, and do with the rest as you prefer.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
dee

Post by dee »

Thanks .
I would neve dream of messing with rare toys , but there are plenty of car transporters coming up too good to repaint , but needing a little TLC .
I think I will go for one .
I certainly describe all items I a selling as altered , however slightly .
I can't cope with the 'used' description and poor photos !
Regards
dee
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

There's a good lad... :D
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

The Dinky Bedford Pullmore car transporter was a fabulous model.Much more than a toy in my opinion and that shows in the amount of that model that where made and sold over quite a long time span.
As well as a lot of them that have survived in mint condition there are many in fair nick that are still giving lots of joy to new collectors as well as older guys like me.
This lorry [UK] is also one of the most restored models and has been chopped,code 3d,and minted up by hundreds if not thousands of professional and amateurs alike..Yes I've done a few.
Like the others have said do with it as you like. The removable paint fix sounds a feasible idea but personally I would let its age proudly stand out and let it show its age with a patina that says I have lived a life that was full and survived.....

Oh and welcome to the forum.
Ian.
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I have moved all the posts in Dee's topic about tochiong up Dinky Toys to here rather than leave it in the beginners thread as it no longer comes under the Beginners' Corner status.

Ghosthunter.