Prototype Chassis

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
motorman

Re: Prototype Chassis

Post by motorman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I meant that the chassis is for a specific model and not for the whole development of the Superfast project so because it does have a 23 moulded on its surface, it is very likely intended for the VW.
Thanks Kevin, so would it be fair to say that the wheel hubs were not necessarily intended for the #23 camper but could potentially have been for any Superfast model in development around 1969 - 1970, including some of the early prepro disc wheel Superfast models?
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Essentially Yes Alex.

If we look at the two wheels here we see a solid design fitted to a 1969 issued #69 Drop Top Rolls-Royce and a hollow wheel fitted to a 1970 issued #69.
A and B castings here - Copy.JPG
There is no denying the solid wheels came first and choose any of the recorded first examples of a Superfast model from the first year of production which here is 1969 and they will have the solid design.

The hollow wheels on my #69 shown above do seem to have the same inner design as the ones on the prototype chassis. This is the area directly around the axle and the only part of the wheel that can contact the wheel cut-out on the baseplate.

It could be the wheels on the prototype chassis are 'Prototyping' for the 1970 hollow wheels shown on my #69 above!
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I meant that the chassis is for a specific model and not for the whole development of the Superfast project so because it does have a 23 moulded on its surface, it is very likely intended for the VW.
Could these have been prototype non-saloon wheels, which were put into development once the idiots on the Board had decided to roll out Superfast wheels across the whole range? The biggest problem with that is that the wheel design is so primitive compared to the early mass-production wheels.
I'm wondering whether the wheel mould numbers aren't a red herring on this one, and are in a different sequence, leading to them appearing to be later than they actually are.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Do you mean Primitive as in no hot foil register pattern on the viewable side (the outside) when wheel is fitted to the model!

They could be for non-saloon cars and are likely to be the larger of the two diameters we know of.

Alex, can you measure the diameter of the wheel, thanks.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

kay wrote:This model has been sold in the "Matchbox Magic 4" auction by Vectis back in July 2000.
The description says "Original hand-made brass master prototype for the No. 23 VW Camper - which features the base from the earlier No. 34 VW Camper £200 - 250".
Thank you for adding that snippet of information.
motorman

Post by motorman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Do you mean Primitive as in no hot foil register pattern on the viewable side (the outside) when wheel is fitted to the model!

They could be for non-saloon cars and are likely to be the larger of the two diameters we know of.

Alex, can you measure the diameter of the wheel, thanks.
Kevin they measure in at 9 x 2mm
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Thanks Alex.

So they are the smaller wheels and too big for the VW Camper!