the "C" and "D" Boxes.

The Matchbox box, blister, catalogue and paperwork forum.
kerbside

the "C" and "D" Boxes.

Post by kerbside »

DSCN8669-001.JPG
DSCN8669-001.JPG (61.1 KiB) Viewed 5344 times
DSCN8668-001.JPG
DSCN8668-001.JPG (34.7 KiB) Viewed 5344 times
The joys of box collecting, when the "D" box has the word New on the end of the box or with-out

New it is listed as D1 or D2, but on the "C" boxes it is the same but not listed as C1 and C2?

Also the model shown on the boxes is quite different, one shows a solid colour and the

other shows a two tone model?

George T.
kay

Re: the "C" and "D" Boxes.

Post by kay »

kerbside wrote:
DSCN8669-001.JPG
DSCN8668-001.JPG
New it is listed as D1 or D2, but on the "C" boxes it is the same but not listed as C1 and C2?
Also the model shown on the boxes is quite different, one shows a solid colour and the
other shows a two tone model?
George T.
George,

it all depends on which listings you use - if you look to Matchbox Pat's site about Matchbox boxes (http://www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk ... index.html), you will find both boxes listed and pictured under C type boxes for No. 29b......

What list are you using?

Kay
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Hello Kay, I know he has it listed but I was referring to Stannards.
George T.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

kay wrote:if you look to Matchbox Pat's site about Matchbox boxes (http://www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk ... index.html), you will find both boxes listed and pictured under C type boxes for No. 29b......
Just as with Christian's site for Superfast, I wouldn't consider using anything other than Pat's site for boxes.
jsherwood

Post by jsherwood »

D1 and D2 differ by end flap typeface - D1 with serifs, D2 without regardless of whether they have 'new model' or not. (There are 'new model' D1 and D2 boxes)

Vectis and some other auction houses and collectors (but not Pat) also list D3 and D4 boxes - D3 the same as D2 but with 2 dark blue sides instead of blue/brown, and D4 with two light blue sides.

C boxes only have one typeface. I suppose they had to draw the line somewhere, with different box sizes, model drawings, model number typefaces and fonts etc.

Pat's site provides excellent summaries for box types and that's what I use.

Cheers

John