Old Adverts.

The Matchbox box, blister, catalogue and paperwork forum.
ClOwY

Re: Old Adverts.

Post by ClOwY »

Very nice, and then hand wtitten
i would frame it.
Gary
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

Idris wrote:There is something reassuring about a price quoted in guineas. It somehow instils an air of confidence.
Misplaced with these sets which now sell for less than half the original purchase price!
Bob
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:
paelzermaen wrote:What means £2.2.0 ?
2Pounds?
2Pounds 20pence?
22 Punds?
220 Pounds?
It means two pounds, two shillings, zero pence, more correctly referred to as two guineas.
In the UK's old monetary system there were 20 shillings in a pound, and 12 pennies in a shilling. (We went decimal on 15/2/71.)
A guinea was 21 shillings, i.e. 1 pound 1 shilling (more details here). It is still sometimes used in auctions, the decimal equivalent to 21s being £1,05.
More here.
paelzermaen

Post by paelzermaen »

Idris wrote:
paelzermaen wrote:What means £2.2.0 ?
2Pounds?
2Pounds 20pence?
22 Punds?
220 Pounds?
It means two pounds, two shillings, zero pence, more correctly referred to as two guineas.
In the UK's old monetary system there were 20 shillings in a pound, and 12 pennies in a shilling. (We went decimal on 15/2/71.)
A guinea was 21 shillings, i.e. 1 pound 1 shilling (more details here). It is still sometimes used in auctions, the decimal equivalent to 21s being £1,05.
Thank you ! Sounds very complicated to us "decimalists". You need a lot of pennies for a pound.
This leads me to some more Questions:
DSC00115.JPG
What means " 3d" ? I always thought, it was a kind of price.

And here: f.ex. "2/4" for a regular model means then "2 shilling and 2 pennies"?
DSC00116.JPG
THOMAS
in Black Forest
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

paelzermaen wrote:This leads me to some more Questions:
What means " 3d" ? I always thought, it was a kind of price.
And here: f.ex. "2/4" for a regular model means then "2 shilling and 2 pennies"?
Yes, 3d means 3 old pennies. (Although always called pennies, the abbreviation was d. Similarly, the pound sign, £, is actually a stylised L. So the pounds/shillings/pence system was known as Lsd.)
Yes, 2/4 means two shillings and fourpence.

Actually 3d, being quarter of a shilling, was an actually coin, the "thuppenny bit". Much loved, and much missed by everyone, its iconic shape has recently returned to our change with the introduction of the new pound coin. (UK coinage used to be based on halves and quarters. So half a pound was a ten shilling note, and half a ten shilling note was a five shilling coin called a crown. half a shilling was a sixpence, and half a sixpence was a thruppenny bit. This all changed with decimalisation.)
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

50 years go today it all changed. The LSD for Pounds Shillings & Pence comes from the Latin
Libra, Solidus, Denarius.

https://www.retrowow.co.uk/retro_britai ... money.html
Bob
paelzermaen

Post by paelzermaen »

Idris wrote:
Actually 3d, being quarter of a shilling, was an actually coin, the "thuppenny bit". Much loved, and much missed by everyone, its iconic shape has recently returned to our change with the introduction of the new pound coin. (UK coinage used to be based on halves and quarters. So half a pound was a ten shilling note, and half a ten shilling note was a five shilling coin called a crown. half a shilling was a sixpence, and half a sixpence was a thruppenny bit. This all changed with decimalisation.)
This makes it even more complicated. :o
Long ago, when I was a young lad, I used to collect coins (like all in that age). I remember this huge, copper pennies from GB. They were bigger than nearly all other coins. And they were worth only a 240th of a pound? How did you carry all of your small change? You needed a extra backpack for them.
THOMAS
in Black Forest
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

paelzermaen wrote:How did you carry all of your small change?
Well, things were cheaper back then, so you didn't need so many coins. Also, the banks were only ever open whilst your were at work, so it was nigh on impossible to get at your money anyway. :D