Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
Idris
Site Admin

Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges

Post by Idris »

My lady wife is following a university course and, because of Covid, all the lectures are online and based around a PowerPoint presentation of anything up to 100 slides She likes to print the presentations out in order to make her notes directly against the relevant text, but it's costing me an absolute fortune in ink cartridges.
Non-OEM cartridges used to have a very bad reputation (no doubt created, at least in part, by negative propaganda but out by the printer manufacturers themselves). Similarly, there were horror stories about the consequences for the print nozzles of refilling an ink cartridge with non-approved (= expensive) ink. I also have the idea that there was, at least at one time, an issue with some printer manufacturers programming their printers not to accept non-original cartridges.
Does anyone have any experience, either good or bad, of using cheaper cartridges or of refilling original cartridges with non-original ink? Are there any brands to steer well clear of? Any particularly good manufacturers?
DrJeep

Re: Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges

Post by DrJeep »

When I broke our last printer clearing a paper jam, I replaced it with an Epson ecotank printer. They’re more expensive (£200+) but the ink lasts ages and is much cheaper. 4000 sheets on the first set of bottles is the claim, and new bottles of ink are £6 each. We’ve had it for a couple of years and I’m about to fill it with black ink for the first time. It’s much cheaper to run and I think we’re past the break-even point, though effectively free printing does encourage extra use!
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

My wife bought me a cheap [£50] Epson for my birthday that was on Dec 7th Hint hint.I have been using Canon for years and refilling my empty cartridges with mixed results..The new Epson was bought from Tesco and knowing it had just starter cartridges I went on line and invested £10 in a new set of refilled knowing the first lot would not last more than a week maybe....The new lot separate Red Yellow Blue and Black are superb and cheap so not wanting to run out again I have just ordered another set and am not expecting to be using them till the summer...I'm not a massive user but do use it to print all my address labels for Ebay sales,music for my guitar and piano learning and decals for my code 3s that are coming out a lot better than the old Canon ..Those are my thoughts and are not in anyway an endorsment you understand....I look at it as you dont always get what you pay for,some times you get more if your savvy......Good luck Ian.
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I can not comment on refilling inks with this, that or the other but I do not recommend Canon printers. Considering the status Canon has in the photographic industry, their domestic (home based) printers are very poor.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I can not comment on refilling inks with this, that or the other but I do not recommend Canon printers. Considering the status Canon has in the photographic industry, their domestic (home based) printers are very poor.
Agreed....
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
waratah

Post by waratah »

We have kiosks in malls, shopping centres etc that will refill our cartridges cheaper than buying new ones. I use to refill with bottles of ink and syringes way back, mixed results. I have an older HP inkjet printer and haven't had issues. Laurie