Matchbox / Lesney business cards

The Matchbox box, blister, catalogue and paperwork forum.
Maestro

Matchbox / Lesney business cards

Post by Maestro »

Some two weeks ago I could make a very special trade with a fellow-collector here in The Netherlands.
He had 2 business-cards of a certain Mister G. (Gerry) Prins, a Dutch overseas sales representative of Lesney Products Ltd. in London
as well of the Fred Bronner Corporation in New York.

The man whom I made the swap with met Gerry Prins some 25-30 years ago by coincidence through Mr. Prins' son, who was a colleague
at work. As already by then a collector, he asked the young guy if he perhaps knew someone who had old Matchbox in the attic, and the
answer was surprisingly remarkable: yes, my father used to work for Lesney! The contact was made quickly, and Mister Prins gave both
business-cards straight out of his wallet to the guy I now have got them from.

At first I had some doubts wether these cards were original or copies, but I took the chance. The man's story was acceptable, the pictures
he sent were crisp and clear, and he already could have sold both for easy money and copy some more in case they were copies.

Once in my hands i smelled the paper, tasted it, felt it, looked at them with a magnifier... no more doubt, 100% original!
Looking at the UK card there are very fine, multicolored fibres in the paper and characters, which cannot be copied that precise.
The paper also has 'age' to it.
The USA card is even more recognisable as authentic: when going with your finger over the characters you feel they are printed IN the paper,
I would name it a "negative emboss". You easily can feel the relief, something that wouldn't be possible wit a copy.

If Mister Prins is still alive? I don't know. Would there be someone on VBD who knows (or knew) him, heard of him, worked with him?
I would be very interested, especially to see a 'face behind the name'!

Maarten
"These may be toys, but this ain't child's play"
Idris
Site Admin

Re: Matchbox / Lesney business cards

Post by Idris »

Those are simply wonderful! I've never seen anything like them.
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

Very nice ,and still clean and uncreased
Gary
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

They are fantastic as I already wrote on the 3 inch forum.

marcel
matchboxmarcel
MatchboxFreak

Post by MatchboxFreak »

Wonderful to see.
The fact that the paper stock and printing method are different on each card also supports the authenticity of theses pieces of history.
Congratulations and enjoy!
Happy hunting!
Kurt