38c Honda Motorcycle and Trailer

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

38c Honda Motorcycle and Trailer

Post by Idris »

The NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (second edition) has a strange comment about the toolbox being on either side of the motorcycle, which I think is most likely simply a cryptic reference to the ejector ring changing sides. Reference is also made to the small Honda label having either a yellow or an orange background. If this distinction is confirmed and considered significant, it will generate a new group of codes (no.s 33 to 36) at the end of the variation table.
The AIM's “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) has a plausible crossover as variation 38-3d, namely a yellow type 2 trailer with a label. If confirmed, this would become Nick's variation code 25.
Neither Stannard nor Houghton list any new variations but both consider there to be six trailer castings as opposed to nick's three. Details can be found in George's Casting Show page for this model.
U.K. Matchbox did not examine the model.
yellowfoden

Re: 38c Honda Motorcycle and Trailer

Post by yellowfoden »

According to the description on Nick’s site he is awaiting more information on a 3.0mm ejector ring casting.

The attached images show one I have with the ejector ring measuring 2.66mm making it the 3.0mm he is after. It has the number 2 cast on the tab.

Also shown in the image is another number 2 casting but this one has the 4.0mm ejector which does not line up with Nicks variation table as the table states the number 2 should have 5.0mm ejector ring.

For comparison I have taken a couple of macro shots to show the 4.00mm and 5.0mm difference.

Bert
Attachments
Ejector ring detail request from Nick's site
Ejector ring detail request from Nick's site
38c ejector ring detail from Nick's site.JPG (35.33 KiB) Viewed 17062 times
Macro view of smallest ejector ring under 3.0mm
Macro view of smallest ejector ring under 3.0mm
38c close up of 2.66mm ejector.JPG (211.33 KiB) Viewed 17062 times
Small ejector ring 2.66mm on number 2 tab
Small ejector ring 2.66mm on number 2 tab
38c small ejector on number 2.JPG (59.12 KiB) Viewed 17062 times
38c 2.66mm ejector ring
38c 2.66mm ejector ring
38c 2.66mm ejector top right.JPG (62.81 KiB) Viewed 17062 times
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

i am going through my number 38s honda cycles and trailers and want to remind everyone...has anyone found a motorcycle without a number on the kickstand tab

a guy is selling one from the UK that i made an offer on but he didnt accept (been selling or trying for over a year or more)...i saw another a year or so ago but was also a bit pricey (also from the uk)...neither of them are/did call out the number not being on the kickstand tab

the number on the tab is always on the opposite side of the ejector ring side

also...the motorcycle without the number on the tab...mine is with the first issue trailer with no ejector rings on it...same was with the two others i have seen...i know bikes and trailers can be mixed between all models...thats why i check all number 38 listings...but since the bike without the number on the tab and trailer without any ejector rings are the earliest releases
Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

as i am finishing up the honda bikes...i found with a quick look...6 with the 3mm ejector rings

but then i got out my eye loupe...and 4 look to be a double ejector...two dont look like it...they all have a 3mm ejector piece protruding in the middle of the double ejector

the other two...one is like the one pictured...where the inside piece protrudes the most...but they do look like there is a very faint outside ejector like the one pictured above
Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

im still hunting for my second bike without a number on the kick stand tab...but im really here to say i have found another bike with the 3mm ejector ring