Corgi Toys.

Idris
Site Admin

Re: Corgi Toys.

Post by Idris »

Given the difference in price between the Great Book of Corgi and the New Great Book of Corgi, is there any good reason not to buy the latter (apart from the quality of the additional information regarding the newer models)?
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

Idris wrote:Given the difference in price between the Great Book of Corgi and the New Great Book of Corgi, is there any good reason not to buy the latter (apart from the quality of the additional information regarding the newer models)?
In my opinion, if you don't already own the original issue of the book there is NO good reason why you should not buy the later issue. Much of the information is the same but I can't, off the top of my head, immediately think of things that are missing from the re-issued version.

Ian
cOO7rgi

Post by cOO7rgi »

worrall1.JPG
worrall1.JPG (788.06 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
"The James Bond Diecasts of Corgi" by Dave Worrall

Published in 1996, this book shows the different models and packaging designs from the first Goldfinger DB5 from 1965 to the GoldenEye releases of 1995 and also some models related to the Bond films that were not official Bond merchandise (like the Corgi Rockets Alpine Ski Set or the Aerocar). It also has a chapter about the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang because that book was also written by Bond author Ian Fleming.

Compiled twenty years ago, it is inevitable that in the meantime many additional variations have surfaced, and I wish Dave Worrall would release an expanded, full-colour update of his book to include the additional variations and of course the newer releases since 1995.

More problematic than missing variations are a few illustrated that are clearly not possible from the Corgi timeline (like the non-Bond Corgi Juniors Lotus Esprit street version from 1984-85 in the James Bond packaging from 1977-80 - one such fake has just sold for £310!). Worrall is a James Bond fan first and foremost and an authority on the full-size Goldfinger Aston Martin DB5 who collects more than just Corgi, so he probably wasn't aware at the time that some of the models he shows are not authentic.

One remark not about the content: I have never owned a book with such a lousy binding. Mine already had a few loose pages after the first reading, and in the meantime it has become more a loose-leaf collection than a book. This is a general problem also often seen on examples offered on ebay, so I would recommend to check thoroughly for completeness.
Given that much of the info about the standard releases can now be found online I wouldn't pay the price most sellers are asking (the one example on Amazon costs £95!) but if it can be obtained near its original price (£15) it is certainly good value.
worrall2.JPG
worrall2.JPG (723.63 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
Publisher: Solo Publishing
ISBN-10: 0951750925
ISBN-13: 978-0951750926
Dimensions: 24 x 16.4 x 0.6 cm, 124 pages, black & white photos

https://www.amazon.co.uk/James-Bond-Die ... 0951750925
LUFF

Post by LUFF »

Corgi Classics price guide , listing models made from 1984-2008 , the Mattel era to 1995 then Corgi classics LTD (Leicester) 2008. it lists catalogue releases but MAY NOT list premiums/ commissions.
NOT included Corgi VA (Vanguard) models
Attachments
img124.jpg
img127.jpg
img128.jpg