From my childhood...

Lesney early large scale toys 1947-55 + Models of Yesteryear 1956 to date
Bill Manzke

From my childhood...

Post by Bill Manzke »

I was unpacking moving boxes today, and I came across this piece from my childhood. I think it held up pretty well for its age.

Anybody know where I can get a maroon grill for the radiator? That seems to be the only part missing.

Bill
Attachments
20210116_190715.jpg
20210116_190721.jpg
20210116_190734.jpg
20210116_190746.jpg
At the beach, counting down to retirement.
Squid

Re: From my childhood...

Post by Squid »

Steve Flowers reproduces the grill in black; it could be painted maroon, I suppose. Here's a link to his Yesteryears parts. Unfortunately, it is very common for Daimlers to lose their grills.
Bod

Post by Bod »

The grille would be the same as the painted issue black.
The wooden box you have is on one of the harder boxes to find and is known as a coral box.
I have about ten of these models still boxed on ashtrays , steel trays and boxes and all have black grilles.
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

For the longest time I had saved the grill inside the box, but it is now lost. It was definitely maroon like the seats, at least on the back side.
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

Maroon grilles are certainly known, but usually turn up on painted models for some reason.
Y13 grilles.JPG
Bob
francipe

Post by francipe »

Bill Manzke wrote:For the longest time I had saved the grill inside the box, but it is now lost. It was definitely maroon like the seats, at least on the back side.
Bill,
Have you checked in the packing box and on the floor where you removed it from the box? I know when I opened mine I didn't even realise the grille had fallen out. It's the tiniest piece of plastic which I happened to see lying on the carpet and first thought was a piece of dirt the dog had brought in.
Also it could be your mind playing tricks on you and it might be be black.
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

francipe wrote:
Bill Manzke wrote:For the longest time I had saved the grill inside the box, but it is now lost. It was definitely maroon like the seats, at least on the back side.
Bill,
Have you checked in the packing box and on the floor where you removed it from the box? I know when I opened mine I didn't even realize the grille had fallen out. It's the tiniest piece of plastic which I happened to see lying on the carpet and first thought was a piece of dirt the dog had brought in.
Also it could be your mind playing tricks on you and it might be be black.
Oh that would have been years and years ago. I received it as a present as a child when it was new. I'm 63 now and have lived in 4 different US States since then, raised two now adult children, and had/have numerous cats that thought diecast cars were fun to hide under the furniture.