merlin

Morestone, Benbros, Charbens, DCMT, Kemlows & Moko.
MOKOSEX

merlin

Post by MOKOSEX »

My first model of the year is one i wanted for a while,only recently found out there are 2 versions of this racing car ,one elastic band powered and un powered,just like the other model in the range the jeep
Also shown is a very good auction lot i DIDN,T WIN :cry: which shows 2 unpowered merlin racing cars and jeeps and a timpo american star racer for comparison.
dave
Attachments
merlinunpowered.jpg
DSCN9374.JPG
DSCN9373.JPG
MOKOSEX

Re: merlin

Post by MOKOSEX »

Here are the latest additions :D ,a complete condon trencher ,a rare FG taylor MG Magnette racing car,an early timpo record car with brass hubs and a couple of timpo artic cabs :D
dave r
Attachments
DSCN9396.JPG
DSCN9397.JPG
DSCN9398.JPG
DSCN9399.JPG
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

MOKOSEX wrote:H...a rare FG taylor MG Magnette racing car...
Would that be the Taylor of Taylor & Barrett and, if so, does that (automatically) make this post-war?
MOKOSEX

Post by MOKOSEX »

Idris wrote:
MOKOSEX wrote:H...a rare FG taylor MG Magnette racing car...
Would that be the Taylor of Taylor & Barrett and, if so, does that (automatically) make this post-war?
This is what i found out about the model

"An extremely rare model of an early MG Magnette by F G Taylor (originator of Taylor and Barrett) and his sons. The trade name FGT & Sons was registered commercially in 1945 and this model was probably made soon after that."

Its construction is what i call hollowcast,it has a rough inside like inside hollow lead soldiers but this is lighter than lead and feels like mazak.Its the end of an era of hollowcast as from then on most models were diecast :D
dave
Squid

Post by Squid »

The trencher is a neat piece. I imagine it's rare to find one with the belt intact, and that no-one has reproduced it.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

MOKOSEX wrote:Its construction is what i call hollowcast,it has a rough inside like inside hollow lead soldiers...
Sounds like a synonym for slush-cast
MOKOSEX

Post by MOKOSEX »

Idris wrote:
MOKOSEX wrote:Its construction is what i call hollowcast,it has a rough inside like inside hollow lead soldiers...
Sounds like a synonym for slush-cast
Yes i agree :D
"Slush casting is a variant of permanent molding casting to create a hollow casting or hollow cast. In the process the material is poured into the mold and allowed to cool until a shell of material forms in the mold. The remaining liquid is then poured out to leave a hollow shell."
Whats interesting about this casting is it not being lead and the good defination they obtained,and i think its one of the last slush cast cars produced as everyone went to pressure casting.
dave
MOKOSEX

Post by MOKOSEX »

Squid wrote:The trencher is a neat piece. I imagine it's rare to find one with the belt intact, and that no-one has reproduced it.
The casting is often broken on the arms ,the yellow buckets do fall off so they are often missing and like you said the belts go after time plus the driver is nearly always missing,i don,t think any spares are available but if they are it would be the driver as they are also wanted for the condon dumper truck and the crane.
dave