How much work is needed here?

Restoration how to's
Squid

How much work is needed here?

Post by Squid »

This Corgi MGA is tempting. I'm pretty sure a new windshield would drop right in; is the same true of a new steering wheel? And it looks like there may be some corrosion around the left rear bumper guard. Am I correct, or is something else going on there?
s-l1600.jpg
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: How much work is needed here?

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Zamac (Mazac) used for these models does not actually corrode itself but something may have been spilt on the corner that can become corroded. If you are going to restore this back to a displayable condition then this area will clean up during the paint stripping process.

Once the baseplate has been removed you will see how the steering wheel has been secured but it should not require too much work to remove the remains.

Plexiglass can be cut to shape and inserted into the old screen's slot either by an interference fit or with a couple of small dabs of glue.

Modern day replacement tyres are readily available from the usual spares suppliers on the internet.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Thanks for the help, Ghosty. However, the offer I made on the MGA has expired, so it's time to move along.
Diecastmolester

Post by Diecastmolester »

That one is way to good for a full on resto.
Cowydd O'Lochdown-Bragsitt
Squid

Post by Squid »

I agree. The needed parts would cost $2.71 US (£2), for an outlay of $15.70 (£11.58). Of course, those figures are exclusive of shipping costs, and exchange rates may have changed since time of posting. Would that represent a reasonable price for the model in question?
Diecastmolester

Post by Diecastmolester »

It's not a downright bargain, but fair.

I think resilvering the trim with a Sharpie would go a long way.
Cowydd O'Lochdown-Bragsitt