Came across this vanguards Triumph

Corgi & Husky toys by Mettoy
Dinkied

Came across this vanguards Triumph

Post by Dinkied »

Firstly , Happy New Year to all.
I have come across this Vanguards Triumph TR5, it was in a box I packed a few years ago and I do not know how it got there as I did not collect Corgi cars. It has the TR5 logos and is a TR5 but on the underside it is stamped 'vanguards' Triumph TR4/TR4A. I am a little mystified but have been unable to find a pic on the net of the underside plate. Any experts out there who can explain the discrepancy. Thanks.
I have attempted to upload some photos but they may be of poor quality.

Squid

Re: Came across this vanguards Triumph

Post by Squid »

My theory: they used the base from the TR-4A as a cost-cutting measure.
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

Squid wrote:My theory: they used the base from the TR-4A as a cost-cutting measure.
I would agree. Sadly I am not as up-to-date on the newer models as I should be. I have spent my career as a product design and manufacturing engineer, so this type of badge engineering of the body graphics without changing the baseplate die doesn't surprise me in the least. Die changes are expensive!
At the beach, counting down to retirement.
Dinkied

Post by Dinkied »

Thanks for the replies. I think that has solved the riddle.
LUFF

Post by LUFF »

The original owners of the "Vanguard's " range had the problem with their Days gone models so they milled out a square in the die and made a removerble insert ,
but for a one off would not be cost effective.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Usually the number of real cars that a model could represent is discussed at the development stage so if they make a TR4/TR4A, chances are they would later make it into a TR5 and the die-insert method would be employed so it is strange this was not done on this occasion, unless the original brief for the model was only for a TR4/TR4A as special commission (classic car clubs are often commissioning specific cars).
Fred7A

Post by Fred7A »

To be accurate, Corgi shouldn't have used a common baseplate for the TR4 and TR4A, as the chassis weren't the same, the biggest difference being independent rear suspension on the TR4A. Having said that, some US-spec TR4As still had leaf springs.

Not a big deal really, especially as most collectors don't display their models upside-down, but Classic Carlectables went to the trouble of making different bases for their lovely Mark 1 Cortina, to represent the leaf springs or A-frame rear suspension as appropriate.