Matchbox Models of Yesteryear

Free buy, sell, wanted and swap ads
Forum rules
All deals are wholly private in nature.
VBD accepts neither responsibility nor liability for any aspect of any deal.
The Scorer

Matchbox Models of Yesteryear

Post by The Scorer »

I have a small collection of these which I would like to sell, and I'd appreciate some advice on how to do this, please.

They are a mixture of Series 1, 2 and 3 and are all in very good condition. Sadly they do not have the original boxes, although the display box (made by my Grandfather, I think) does have some parts of each box with the details of the model.

These are the models that I have:
Reference Model Series
Cars
Y-1 1911 Model T Ford 2
Y-2 1911 Renault 2
Y-3 1910 Benz Limousine 2
Y-4 1909 Opel Coupe 3
Y-5 1907 Peugeot 3
Y-6 1913 Cadillac 3
Y-7 1912 Rolls Royce 3
Y-8 1914 Stutz 3
Y-9 1912 Simplex 2
Y-10 1925 Mercedes Benz 36/220 2
Y-11 1912 Packard Laundaulet 2
Y-12 1909 Thomas Flyabout 2
Y-13 1911 Daimler 2
Y-14 1911 Maxwell Roadster 2
Y-15 1930 Packard Victoria 2
Y-16 1904 Spyker 1

Others
Y-12 1899 London Horse Drawn
Bus 1 No horse, one decal missing
Y-13 1862 American "General"
Class Locomotive 1
Y-14 1903 "Duke of Connaught"
Locomotive 1

Finally, I also have a Matchbox Super Kings "The Londoner K-15B" Double Decker Bus with decals for the Royal Wedding, 1981.

Can someone help me with this, please? Ideally, I'd like to sell them as a job lot, but I wouldn't object to making individual sales if it is necessary.

Thank you; if you have any questions, please let me know.
YYS4BOB

Re: Matchbox Models of Yesteryear

Post by YYS4BOB »

Unboxed models are not really sought after unless they are absolutely mint or rare variants. Damaged models are practically worthless. A picture is worth a thousand words. E-Bay is an option.
Bob
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

It is very unlikely you will be able to sell that collection as one lot. The Yesteryear models have more attraction than the other models but Yesesteryear collectors tend to have everything from the range in their collections and they would only add more models if you happen to have the right variations and to find out that, you will need to take pictures of all the individual Yesteryear models, out of their boxes and at angles showing all sides of the model but especially the underneath details and providing the pictures are good and clear enough, collectors can decide if you have a variation they want!

In some cases the variation such as a casting modification is hidden under one of the model's plastic seats so that will have to be removed on request by the collector!

It sounds like a daunting task for anyone not really into these models but that is the way it has to be done unless you can find locally someone who does know these models to do it for you!
The Scorer

Post by The Scorer »

YYS4BOB wrote:Unboxed models are not really sought after unless they are absolutely mint or rare variants. Damaged models are practically worthless. A picture is worth a thousand words. E-Bay is an option.
Thanks very much for your advice. I thought that the fact that they're unboxed would be a problem, but it's something that I'll have to accept. They're not damaged and as far as I can see are in very good condition. I'll have to look at taking the E-Bay option!
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:It is very unlikely you will be able to sell that collection as one lot. The Yesteryear models have more attraction than the other models but Yesteryear collectors tend to have everything from the range in their collections and they would only add more models if you happen to have the right variations and to find out that, you will need to take pictures of all the individual Yesteryear models, out of their boxes and at angles showing all sides of the model but especially the underneath details and providing the pictures are good and clear enough, collectors can decide if you have a variation they want!

In some cases the variation such as a casting modification is hidden under one of the model's plastic seats so that will have to be removed on request by the collector!

It sounds like a daunting task for anyone not really into these models but that is the way it has to be done unless you can find locally someone who does know these models to do it for you!
Thanks very much for your advice - I have some work to do, then!

Best wishes to you both.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I would suggest taking a few group shots and posting them here, just on the off-chance that you have something special. (Nothing ventured, nothing gained.)
The Scorer

Post by The Scorer »

Idris wrote:I would suggest taking a few group shots and posting them here, just on the off-chance that you have something special. (Nothing ventured, nothing gained.)
Okay, thanks, I'll see what I can do.
Squid

Post by Squid »

I will second all the advice given, and add this: I've recently purchased near-mint, boxed Yesteryears for $5 US. Rare variations excepted, it's a buyers' market for Series 2 and later models. Insofar as I'm aware, the only model you've listed that can has such a rare variation is the Spyker. Considering shipping costs and what GHOSTHUNTER pointed out, they could be a tough sell as a lot. The display box could be an even tougher sell, but nevertheless, I'd be interested in seeing a photo or two of it.

Best of luck with the sale!
The Scorer

Post by The Scorer »

Squid wrote:I will second all the advice given, and add this: I've recently purchased near-mint, boxed Yesteryears for $5 US. Rare variations excepted, it's a buyers' market for Series 2 and later models. Insofar as I'm aware, the only model you've listed that can has such a rare variation is the Spyker. Considering shipping costs and what GHOSTHUNTER pointed out, they could be a tough sell as a lot. The display box could be an even tougher sell, but nevertheless, I'd be interested in seeing a photo or two of it. Best of luck with the sale!
Thanks very much, I'll see what I can do!