I Will Never Again Break Another Riveted Window Insert

Restoration how to's
Diecastmolester

I Will Never Again Break Another Riveted Window Insert

Post by Diecastmolester »

Yes, it's true.
I'm sick and tired of either ending up with a pimple on the roof, or another cracked unit that was actually good.

Thusly I purchased this:

They are hollow drills and work a treat. You drill the plastic around the rivet and the insert will fall out without the infamous "snap" sound.
I bought a 6mm and an 8mm drill, they cost me less than two quid including postage.
One window unit saved = £2.80 plus postage, so using them only once has paid for them more than once.
Cowydd O'Lochdown-Bragsitt
Tinman

Re: I Will Never Again Break Another Riveted Window Insert

Post by Tinman »

The small ones do seem like they will work great for this use. I just use a rotary deburring bit on the Dremel If I think I'm going to have a problem (and run it around the diameter of the rivet post).

Now, at that cost, I guess they are disposable after use on any serious surface. I can't imagine them lasting very long when used to make a hole in a 5/16" thick porcelain floor tile.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Squid

Post by Squid »

They would probably break less than halfway through drilling into a floor tile! But then again, that's exceeding their intended limitations. For DCM's purposes, these miniature hole saws obviously work great. I would, however, make a drill stop out of 3M Blue tape or equivalent, so's I didn't inadvertently punch a hole through the body.
Diecastmolester

Post by Diecastmolester »

Squid wrote:I would, however, make a drill stop out of 3M Blue tape or equivalent, so's I didn't inadvertently punch a hole through the body.
That's totally unnecessary. You notice immediately when the drill has gone through the plastic and hits the metal.
Cowydd O'Lochdown-Bragsitt
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

NOW I HAVE A USE FOR THE DRILLS i BOUGHT TO MAKE CAKE STANDS FOR MY SONS WEDDING..WE SPENT WEEKS GOING ROUND CHARITY SHOPS LOOKING FOR OLD PLATES .Drilled 80 plates with one bit

o woops i forgot the caps lock key..
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25