The youth of today...How are yours doing.

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
Diecastmolester

Re: The youth of today...How are yours doing.

Post by Diecastmolester »

Both of my daughters - 21 and 14 - are keen model builderesses. It's just different subjects they are into.
The elder is mad into Bandai Gundam kits and spends a much bigger fortune on them than the not inconsiderable one I am prepared to shell out on my vintage rubbish. Well, it's her money and she works very hard for it.
The wee one does extreme modifications to action figures so they become like something out of a Tim Burton film. She is also collecting Gashapon figures and has a nasty habit of nicking my restored diecasts. Interrogated about the latter, she claims "sentimental value" as the motivating factor. You all know that bit of parenting where you are supposed to be strict, but just can't bring yourself towards it?
Cowydd O'Lochdown-Bragsitt
francipe

Post by francipe »

That's a fantastic post Tinman. Maybe you should put it on Facebook so the youngsters of today could benefit from it. But you'd have to explain quite a bit of it of course.
I was extremely shy as a boy growing up, with a twin brother both interested in Airfix kits which my own children only dabbled with briefly.
I remember when I was about 11, in the early 60's, an old man passing by as I opened the front gate to go on an errand. He stopped and said 'You wouldn't believe it to look at me now young lad but I flew Sopwith Camels in the First War'. I was too shy to even reply but have I regretted it ever since. What a wealth of stories I could have heard. My English teacher at the time was an Australian who'd flown Spitfires against the Japanese in WW2 but he only ever told one or two stories about his experiences none of which involved action but both were very funny.
Missed opportunities must fall into the category of mistakes.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Never a truer word. :)
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
Moyboy

Post by Moyboy »

Sigh - I have 2. The boy now 40+ has less room in his house than I do. He collects in no order Transformers, GI Joe small figures and large bits like an aircraft carrier etc, Lego Star wars but sadly no interest in small toy cars. He also does the little Citadel models (God knows how he paints them as they are about 1 inch tall and has armies of them (Orks and Marines). His partner is the same but with her it's Barbie and Lego. The house looks more like a troy shop than a home.
PS he is totally hopeless at doing stuff around the house or working on his car.
The daughter is the opposite - no collectibles at all but will get stuck into reno work or anything else and with 4 kids to handle that is enough for her.
My lot will sell everything I have the day I go under so look for some great items when I kick off !
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Moyboy wrote:Sigh - but sadly no interest in small toy cars.
My lot will sell everything I have the day I go under so look for some great items when I kick off !
Just so you know, I am available for adoption. 8-)
I can provide a wonderful home for them until the reaper comes for me. :shock:
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Squid

Post by Squid »

Moyboy wrote:GI Joe small figures and large bits like an aircraft carrier etc...
I am familiar with that aircraft carrier. If any of my friends got that for Christmas in 1985 (I was in first grade then), they would have been envied by all their piers.

Those small GI Joes are roughly 1:24 scale. If they had scaled it accurately, the toy carrier would have been about 46 feet long!
radar

Post by radar »

I believe auction houses are now seeing declining values for Elvis, then Beatles memorabilia.
They’ve been swamped with deceased estates amid declining interested demographic for increasing stock levels.
My own two sons have no internet in cars or my collection.
I’ve left numbers and details of couple younger contacts - hopefully to ensure collection is disposed of appropriately - not to first second hand dealer offering, “two hundred, the lot”.

I have to check their shared Corolla’s tyres and plead with them to get the oil changed. Ex wife and I bought it for them. No incentive to leave home. Walk to the beach and 7 minutes walk to rail station to Melbourne. Tram and bus nearby.

Cars are not seen the way we saw them. My sons have only heard parents whinge about traffic, parking, peak hour, tolls, servicing, repairs, trade ins and depreciation. So yeah, the electric hybrid range and pooled ownership models have their appeal.

BTW they both graduated with degrees, speak second languages, employed in health sector and are musically accomplished.
My prized matchies don’t really matter, after all.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Sounds like a success story there..Why ? when they have all that would they want a few cars.?....Can I have there room when they get married? 8-)
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
radar

Post by radar »

I forgot to add to car ownership woes the additional expenses of car registration, compulsory third party injury insurance, inevitable speed camera fine for being 3 km over - yes in our jurisdiction - parking restrictions, fines, comprehensive insurance costs and what the economists term “opportunity cost”.

With the previous list and polluting credentials- its little wonder youth of today and their environmental concerns are not enamoured with vehicular activities - or collecting die cast replicas.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Your right there. :)